Trolling Motor and Salt

• mojemann
    Concord, MA

I just bought a lund pro sport 1600 and I need to make a descision on a trolling motor. After reading the recent posts I decided to go with a Minnkota Bow, 55# thrust, 12volts and foot controlled. I will be using the boat somtimes in tidal rivers around Cape Cod. I will not be trolling all the time and would like to keep this as inexpensive as possible. Is the AT (All terrain) line okay for light use (and some salt) or do I have to get a Maxxum or saltwater model ?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Go with the saltwater one or you will be buying a new one in no time at all.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I have the Power Drive 55lb 12 V model and am happy with it but after two years the foot pedal is acting balky. Plenty o’ power for my 17 ft’er and seems to hold a charge for a long time.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Last time I talked with Minnkota they claimed that all of their motors can be used periodically in saltwater. However, the freshwater versions need to be washed down after each and every emersion in saltwater. Not a lot of fun after a long day on the water.

I would go with the Riptide version. Depending on who you get it from, it adds $75-100 to the cost over the freshwater version. Its impossible (without tearing it apart) to tell how much better the electronics are encapsulated, but it does have a sacrificial zinc hub in the prop. I fish freswater 90% of the year and I have the Riptide 65AP with copilot.
    Good luck (and perhaps Ill see ya out around Martha’s Vineyard this summer!)

Dave

mojemann
    Concord, MA

Thanks Dave,
    I also called Minnkota and they basically said I would have to wash it down with fresh water. They also added that putting a Maxxum (or any non-salt) minnkota motor into salt even once would void the warranty. This is cause enough to go for a riptide.
    – thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.