Boat Winch?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

This seems very odd but Im having a heck of a time finding a good boat winch for my trailer. Tore the handle of mine last night. That was a 2000# Attwood that might of made it a month on the trailer. The one before that was a 1200# Fulton that lasted only a couple of months before striping out the gears. The handle on that one was crap to and was bending from the day I put it on.

What are other options for winch’s? My boat is not huge. 1750 Navigator. I power load most of the time and when with someone try to run the eyelet right up tight to the front guard. The boat is on a Karavan roller trailer to. Not sure why Im having problems with this.

Thought this last Attwood winch was going to be a good one as it had gears on both sides of the wheel that holds the strap. That was good until the end of the handle bolt twisted right off last night.

jerry b
    western WI

Mike, not sure where, but I have seen places-maybe Northern-that you can buy replacement handles. In the past, I’ve had similar problems and have ended up reinforcing the handle. Didn’t look too great, but it served the purpose- -jerr

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Check out this baby:

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=14725

Its rated at 2000 lbs and It rocks! They also make bigger load ones. The handle moves from one gear spindle to the next. Put it on the 2nd gear/speed, “granny gear” as I call it, it drops the gear ratio, and it pulls my 17.5′, full windshield boat up a bunk trailer on a steep incline like a dream, with little effort. Can’t remember were I bought it, but I bent the folton up that came w/my karavan trailer after the 3rd or 4th use and replaced it with this one.

It is HEAVY DUTY for sure, the handle is 5/16″ thick and the steel on the box is 3/16″ thick. And it has 4- 1/16″ gears stacked together on the strap wheel. I can take a few photos of mine if you want a better look!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was looking at those today. Where did you buy it at? Im leaving for LOTWs on Thursday. Not sure if I order one on line that it will be here by Thursday.

mojogunter

I can get you a Fulton 3200lbs winch for $130 plus tax. I have to pick up some led lights, so I am heading to pick some stuff up this week.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

Was looking at those today. Where did you buy it at? Im leaving for LOTWs on Thursday. Not sure if I order one on line that it will be here by Thursday.

Check Fleet Farm by the boating equipment, farm equip, or automotive. I think I found it by the trialer tounge jacks in automotive,if I remeber right.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Mike,

After I went through 2 winches on my Ranger trailer – Fulton that the gears stripped out on and an Attwood that I snapped the handle on (I drive up the trailer and crank about 2-6inches to get the bow up tight). I got a 2speed winch from FleetFarm – it wasn’t by the boat winches but by the trailer stuff (I think it’s meant for a skidloader trailer…?). The bolt pattern didn’t match exactly but we made it work.

Pretty sure I could winch the Ranger across the blacktop parking lot without skipping a beat now– it makes the other winches that were on there seem obsolete.

Pete

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like you got that same winch I did from Fleet farm. Ill have to stop by there again and see what I can find.

Found some info on one site that says to size the winch for a boat you take have the weight you intend to pull as a basic rule of thumb. On bunk trailers you go heavy and on roller trailers you can go light. Looking at my rig the boat is 1375#s. Figuring heavy for gear I doubled that weight and divided in half so Im right back to 1375#. Both winches I had bought this spring should of worked. Just cheap crap I guess.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Just cheap crap I guess.

Surprised that last one crapped out on you. That thing looked pretty heavy duty!

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. Handle twisted right off with the end of the bolt.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Big guys are hard on equipment!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.