Outboard gas/oil mix mistake

• u31356

I accidently ran some (probably about 5 miles worth) 50/1 mix through my 92 30h Johnson that should have been 100/1. I noticed the problem when the motor became doggy & wouldn’t accelerate. Hopefully this didn’t cause damage, but could it gum things up?

Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I would guess it might have fouled the plugs a bit but better to have run it too rich than too thin. Clean or replace the plugs, maybe run some seafoam through it. I’m not an expert on this at all but there are some guys here who should know better than I do.

Good luck!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The 50/1 mix should not be a problem at all. The manufacturer probably recommended a 50/1 mix for break in. I’m surprised you noticed any performance issues other than a lot more smoke.

Add gas to get the 100/1 mix and run a can of Seafoam through the tank.

u31356

Thanks Jon – can you clarify your Seafom suggestion. Is Seafom a gas additive that I would put in the tank? Can I get it at Napa? If so, how much should I add to a tank? Or do I need to fog the carb with it?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Just add it to the gas per the directions on the can. NAPA may have Seafoam. I buy it at Fleet Farm for about $3.50 a can.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I like to run my first tank of the year with mixed gas, just so I know the oil pump is working, smokes like crazy, but piece of mind is worth it IMO.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can’t imagine that hurting anything. If it continues to run poorly change the plugs.

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

what do you think a older twenty horse should be running at for oil/fuel ratio?

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Everything after 1960-1 is 50:1. And I use the term “everything” loosely, but the technology of the big outboard companies was upgraded about then.

I thought the 100:1 era ended prematurely because of failures? Even though it was adequate under most conditions, I was under the impression that they didn’t market them that way anymore. Old engines ran lots more oil and they ran a long time because they had that protection. i forget what my seahorse is but it’s something like 24:1 sae 30 nondetergent. I can’t imagine 50:1 hurting a thing. It’s actually insurance.

dustytoms

Iam running a 40 seahorse mid 1980ies The sticker on the side of the motor recomened to run 100/1 mixture . I questioned this as many who have bought used motors .
    2 out or the 3 dealers I have ask recomened

to run at 50 /1
    reason being the extra oil wont gum up the motor
    and will add protection
    also there was a problem with some of the early 100/1 which would not leave enough oil in the motor between prolonged periods which lead to scoring of the pistions when started .
    I have been running 50/1 ever sence and had no trouble .also a can of seafoam in the spring wont hurt any thing , it is the one shot that helps all .

good fishing and may your hook always have a fish on it
    tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.