trailer question

• mojemann
    Concord, MA

I’m buying my first boat and am trying to decide on what type of trailer to get. I’ve read many of the posts here and it seems like there is a lot of opinions on bunk vs. roller and on brands. I am buying a lund pro sport 1600.

As a first time boat owner who has had almost no experience with loading/unloading from a trailer what do people recommend ?

One dealer has a package with a load-rite roller trailer
    17220090R 15′-17′ 2,200# no brakes 16 rollers ST175/75D13C tires

Another dealer has the a shoreland’r RB trailer with similar specs – this is the kind with bunks in the rear and keel rollers in the front.

or should I haggle for a straight bunk trailer?

how do shoreland’r and load-rite compare ?

– thanks

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

With a 16 ft aluminum boat you would be fine with the rollers. It will also help you get your boat in and out of places that may be kinda shallow since you will be able to crank it on and push it off the trailer.
    I have a bunk trailer with my Ranger and it is great but if I can’t float the boat off the trailer…it isn’t coming off, not to mention there is no cranking a boat back on to a bunk trailer unless the bunks are totally submerged.
    The other aspect of a bunk trailer is that with a fiberglass boat it cradles it more than rollers would, you don’t get the small pressure points with bunk like with rollers. With an aluminum boat the pressure points are as big an issue.
    If I were to buy a 16-18ft aluminum…I’d go rollers, you can still drive it on no problem and it should line up on the trailer nicely. Waterfowler has a 17 foot Crestliner with rollers, back the boat in unhook it….it rolls right off. (Important point: Don’t unhook it before you back it in.) When we are done I back the trailer in, he drives it right on leaves the motor in gear to hold the boat up on the trailer and hooks the strap to the bow eye. Piece of cake.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There’s no way Waterfowler is that graceful. I think your embellishing his trailering skills….

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Maybe a little….I just back the trailer in and wait for him to yell go…I usually nod off while I’m waiting maybe that is why is seems like he gets it trailered so quick.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have had both and love my roller trailer. The most common mistake when loading a boat is backing the trailer to far into the water. Once you learn that, you will load the boat fast and easy. Also the trailer needs to sit level in the water or you will pull your hair out trying to get the boat centered. I spent $75.00 and put paded guides on which also help.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Mojemann,

A roller trailer will work great for the sport 1600. I have a 1850 Crestliner and my roller trailer loads excellent. A galvanized trailer is another option to consider.

Sandbar

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Well I sit on the other side of the fence I guess. My 1700 Pro V sits on an Eagle trailer with bunks. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have yet to have trouble getting the boat off the trailer. I do fish pretty level landings from times as well.

I also fish with my dad a lot and his 1775 Pro V sits on a Shor’Landr roller trailer. Over rated would be an understatement. Even with rear guides it sucks trying to get the boat to load level in the wind or current. Most of the time we crank it up by hand because it comes on easier (straighter) and doesn’t blow landings out. We reserve driving it on for bad weather/crowded days.

Might be a good idea to ask a couple buddies to try their combos to get a feel for what you prefer. Good luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would defiantly go with a galvanized trailer, I also had a post about loading on a roller trailer in a post a while back.

Boat Trailer Question

Two of the best tips I got was to have just the back rollers just a bit under water and if you have a counsel to stand in the center of the boat so it goes on level. Also the trailer needs to be level.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.