1994 Johnson VRO 60 H/P Loses Power–HELP

• jrcunning1

Have a very low hour 60 H/P Johnson (1994) VRO 2 stroke outboard. Loses power after getting up warmed up or shortly there after. Have replaced the VRO pump and spark plugs. Cleaned out the in board fuel tank and replaced the fuel bulb. It does not smoke or anything. It runs GREAT when it is cold and for a while after it warms up. Just after it has been running for a while, you will be running at 3/4 throttle and the engine will slowly lose RPM’s/power..Very hard to start after that happens. Let it cool or sit for a while and it will fire right back up..
    I am kind of leaning towards the coil pack as i know these can be heat sensitive (resistance up as temp goes up)..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as the boat is great, motor runs AWESOME when it runs but can’t run it if I don’t trust it…..
    Thinking spring already!!!
    Thanks
    Jim in Rochester

Newexplorer

Have you checked the water pump, engine is getting hot/slowing RPM’s

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Have you checked the water pump, engine is getting hot/slowing RPM’s

That would be my guess as a starting place as well.

stevenoak

Hope I’m wrong BUT..Have the compression checked.Those 60’s and 70’s had a carb issue that causes them to run hot.Me and a buddy both owned one that melted down.If that is the problem and you decide to repair.Ask when you get estimate if they are rebuilding your power head or getting rebuilt.Have heard rebuilts are done in Mexico and are repaired,not a complete rebuild with all new parts.I had mine rebuilt and it was almost $1800.They rebuilt carbs as well to burn proper mixture.Double check all this with dealer.It’s been 10 years since I had mine done.Also those old VRO’s,if you run them in real cold weather add a little oil to you gas.The oil is slow to inject when it’s real cold out.Again,good luck I hope I’m wrong.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Could also be your fuel pump! At lower RPM’s the engine gets fed, but ask for more RPM’s, and the fuel to do it can’t be delivered. Engine sucks the carbs and fuel line empty. Then becomes hard to start because there’s not fuel until the line gets ‘recharged”….

Good luck.. Let us know how it turns out…
    Just my .02$

finman

You stated that you replaced the primer bulb, but did you replace the entire fuel line? Perhaps it is sucking the fuel hose shut and vapor locking? Have you checked and or cleaned your fuel tank vent?

RSN32

I had the same problem with my 60 but I had removed the VRO pump. Found an air leak developed where I capped it off, new cap did the trick runs like a top. make sure you VRO doesnt have any cracks in the line to suck air. Compression check is a good idea to. Good luck

jrcunning1

Thanks guys for all the help!! I have many things to check as soon as I get this pesky ice fishing stuff out of my way in the garage!!
    Thanks again!!
    Jim

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I vote air leak or collapsing fuel line, old line, tired warmed up so it’s extra pliable so it crushes, slowly comes back to form, I’d start looking after the fuel pump, and work you way around. Crap in the fuel line gets another vote for me too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.