Mercury 115 2 Stroke 2+2 Smoking Bad

• Wolfgar

So here is my problem–I have a 2000 Mercury 115hp 2 stroke (2+2) that has been blowing smoke hard. Interestingly, when I start up at the launch, the motor starts up fine and runs great. We will then run to our spot, shut down and fire up the kicker. The 115 then sits for a period of time (i.e., 1, 2, maybe 3 hours) while we troll with the kicker. Upon starting up the 115, the motor blows a tremendous amount of smoke and runs very rough. I am unable to put in gear as it immediately dies. I have to put it in neutral and push the throttle almost wide open to keep it running. It should be noted that at this point the rpms are low and the motor is running very rough. After 2-3 minutes of this, the rpms jump up and I back off the throttle and then the smoke stops. When that happens, the motor is idiling normally and she runs great. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

To give an idea of what this looks like, I have attached a link to Youtube. Thanks in advance! Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxA_yD2Jvt0

shale
    Stillwater, MN

You might want to replace your plugs as a first step. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll bet you have a bad ignition module for one of the cylinders.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

After running a bit the fuekl system is pressurized and you may be seeing some fuel pooling in the cycinders. If you are carburated I’d have that checked or the reed-valve body checked for weakness. If you have injection I’d have them inspected.

You might have or are headed for a scored cylinder too.

dslars

I had kind of the same situation with a 125 2+2. Mine was always a hard starter until the jet that opens when the 2+2 kicks in stuck open. When that happened it started really easy (mostly because it was flooding) then it ran like crap, and smoked bad until you ran it wide open and cleaned it out. They were really inexpensive to replace and Id just do both of them to be sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.