Trolling Motor Advice Needed

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Well my old Power Drive finally kicked the bucket. Going to take it in to the shop to verify but I suspect the smell of burning plastic means that it has reached the end of its useful life.

Currently I am leaning towards a Minn Kota 70 Power Drive 2 with i Pilot. My boat is a 1999 Lund Pro Sport 1700. Wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me.

What is the main difference between the Power Drive 2 motors and the Terrova’s?

Thanks in advance for your input.

deertracker

You won’t be able to use the foot control with the V2. That can get annoying.
    DT

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Well my old Power Drive finally kicked the bucket. Going to take it in to the shop to verify but I suspect the smell of burning plastic means that it has reached the end of its useful life.

Currently I am leaning towards a Minn Kota 70 Power Drive 2 with i Pilot. My boat is a 1999 Lund Pro Sport 1700. Wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me.

Someone out there may be able to comment more on the PD/Terrova question.

My advice is to make sure you get the I-Pilot with whatever unit you get. I do know also that the difference in a 70# PD and an 80# Terrova is significant as far as power, pull, extended battery life, etc.

Also with the I-pilot you can use the foot pedal in conjunction with the I-pilot on the Terrova where you have to give up the foot pedal on the PD. Of course I’ve never used the foot pedal on my Terrova. Heck, I’ve never even hooked it up to see if it works. I hated the foot pedal on my PD prior to the Terrova.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Someone out there may be able to comment more on the PD/Terrova question.

My advice is to make sure you get the I-Pilot with whatever unit you get. I do know also that the difference in a 70# PD and an 80# Terrova is significant as far as power, pull, extended battery life, etc.

Also with the I-pilot you can use the foot pedal in conjunction with the I-pilot on the Terrova where you have to give up the foot pedal on the PD. Of course I’ve never used the foot pedal on my Terrova. Heck, I’ve never even hooked it up to see if it works. I hated the foot pedal on my PD prior to the Terrova.

The only reason I like the foot petal is when vertical jigging with 2 rods or dragging jigs with 2 rods. It is a bit tough to use the remote and hold two rods. If you don’t jig with two rods you can save some $$$ and get the power drive. The only thing is once you get it you can upgrade to get the foot petal.

Steveinsene
    SE Nebraska

For you guys with the terrovas and powerdrives, before Ipilot how did you get by without a foot pedal for casting, when I cast jigs, cranks, plastics or whatever there is no way I could keep the intensity and concentration having to simultaneously cast and make second to second adjustments with a handheld remote (both hands are already occupied) just wandering is all as I am constantly reading here and other places how so many don’t even or have never used their foot pedal.

stuart
    Mn.

I have an 03 pro sport 1700 with a PD 70 V2 on it and can get alot of hrs out of it when fishing the river.The digital power really increased my battery life over the old one.Early this spring i sat on a seam for over 10 hrs with the spot lock on and it held fine and still had 2 lights left on when I went home.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

the terova has a better deploy system

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Info direct from Minnkota. I was going to put an ipilot on my PD V2 and called minnkota. The wireless footpedal that works with the copilot is usless with Ipilot.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I remember reading how someone hooked up a switch on there PD so they could use I-pilot or the foot pedal by just flipping the switch…I think it was crappie.com

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

For you guys with the terrovas and powerdrives, before Ipilot how did you get by without a foot pedal for casting, when I cast jigs, cranks, plastics or whatever there is no way I could keep the intensity and concentration having to simultaneously cast and make second to second adjustments with a handheld remote (both hands are already occupied) just wandering is all as I am constantly reading here and other places how so many don’t even or have never used their foot pedal.

For me before I-Pilot I ran a foot pedal on the PD2 and hated every minute of it.

Of course I had a Crestliner which tracked terribly. So I’m thinking part of what I hated was the fact I needed to be on the foot pedal ALL THE TIME. Where now my Terrova/I-pilot is almost a “set it and forget it” system.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.