Truck / Boat Trailer Lights Problem

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a 95 full size Chevy pickup last sept when I hooked up my trailer lights I blew out my tail & front marker lights & dash lights. I still have head lights, brake lights, & signal lights, & 4 way flashers work. I ended up taking it to the dealer because I could not find any blown fuses, they found the fuse and replaced some bulbs and charged me $72 Well it happened again today and of course I forgot to ask them which fuse it was that they replaced. My question is what is causing this in the first place? Would it be the harness on the truck? Or is it bad wiring on the trailer? Anyone else ever had the same problem. Anyone know of anyone in or near Rochester that they would recommend to fix this? I am a real dummy when it comes to this electrical stuff

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

steve, a short in the trailer will do that. perhaps a truck hitch place can fix you up. Or, you can pull the wires out of the trailer and see. On some trailers that is fairily easy.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Check the fuse box under the hood, It should be near the brake fluid res. The diagram what the fuses are for are in the cover of the box.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I have a 95 full size Chevy pickup

I think I found your problem.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

If I back my trailer in and short out the lights, blowjng the fuse, I can’t get my 96 Ford out of park until I replace the fuse. found that out the hard way. Always unplug the lights now.

Gianni.., That could definately be a good lead…Chevy I love it

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Listen to you mister I can’t figure out how to change the blinker bulb!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Steve,

Can you feel the love in the Chappy family?

I also had this problem on a 99 GM. There is a fuse panel under the hood. It’s pretty clearly marked trailer lights if I remember correctly. I would also say you’ve got a short in the trailer somewhere. Pulling in new wires isn’t that tuff, just use the old stuff as pull strings. You may get lucky and find the area where the wires have decayed and just need to replace a small chunk.

One last note, I agree with Gianni!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

On a past trailer I owned, I found the short occurred on one of the side running lights. The side running lights (Yellow) were spliced in. The splice failed and an open wire was touching the inside of the trailer rail.

Something to check before pulling in a new set of wires.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Steve check your messages I’ll give you a hand.

wailinKalin

Quote:

If I back my trailer in and short out the lights, blowjng the fuse, I can’t get my 96 Ford out of park until I replace the fuse. found that out the hard way. Always unplug the lights now.

This happened to a friend’s 1995 Ford F250.ABS light also came on.Safety interlock,I guess.After an hour of dinking around,I suggested to disconnect trailer lights,put alum foil around blown fuse,and find some spare fuses.

It WAS a short,for sure.Always carry many extra fuses.One short leads to another,so it’s best to replace wiring,instead of feeding the beast fuses .

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Brian stopped over today, AKA: Sgt. Rock and found the problem with my trailer lights
    Turns out I had some exposed wires on the harness of the trailer so we just shortened the harness and spliced it back together and I am back in business
    Thanks again Brian I owe ya
    You will have to post a pic of that new boat when you bring it home

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

These people are unbelievable on this site!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Hopefully a pic of me holding a nice big walleye in that boat!! No problem on the help. Glad I could do it and put a face with a name.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.