Looking for opinions on waders

• bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

I am going on a fishing trip in a few weeks and need to get some chest wadres for the trip. I am looking for chest waders, but do not want to spend a ton as I will only use them 3 to 4 times a year. I will mostly use them early season when the water is still fairly cold. What material/thickness/brand/options would you recommend for a decent pair? I am looking at staying below $150, hopefully around $90.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If you’re going to use them during times when water is coldest, I’d suggest a neoprene wader. They’ll be your warmest option, but at the price point your looking for, finding a good set of neoprene waders may prove challenging.

What size are you looking for?

Take a look at these. Cabelas brand 3mm Neoprene Waders.

bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

I am looking at a size 10. After some research, would a breathable pair work if I wear some long underwear/thick socks? I would fish for about 2 hours at a time in the spring, but come summer, I will fish a trout stream occassionally for 4-6 hours at a time. I am looking at Hodgman Men’s Pipestone($115). Any opinions/suggestions with that info?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

If you’re going to use them during times when water is coldest, I’d suggest a neoprene wader. They’ll be your warmest option, but at the price point your looking for, finding a good set of neoprene waders may prove challenging.

What size are you looking for?

Take a look at these. Cabelas brand 3mm Neoprene Waders.

Not necessarily Blue Fleck. Me personally, I hate neoprene as I’m hot all the time and I overheat to a point of pure uncomfort in them.

I hunt late season (breaking ice and standing waist deep in 32 degree water) and fish streams in the spring.

I like the Cabelas First Flight. I just wear a pair of insulated Wader pants underneath if it’s cold weather conditions. I’ve had these waders 6 years now and they finally failed me this spring (leaking). I’m overly satisfied with these as I’m super hard on my gear and I use it to to it’s limits.

The Cabelas Dry Plus are the next warmer version. Then it’s neoprene (3mm and 5mm).

Hope this helps.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Not necessarily Blue Fleck. Me personally, I hate neoprene as I’m hot all the time and I overheat to a point of pure uncomfort in them.

It will come down to personal preference. I have 2 pair of 5mil neoprene waders and for late season goose hunting on the river, I wouldn’t give mine up for anything.

But getting back on point, the Cabelas First Flight waders are nice. My Dad has a pair, but they are out of the price point indicated.

The Hodgeman Redstone waders might be closer to what you’re looking for. I have waders similar to those and I’ll wear fleece pants underneath for added warmth.

Good luck with your search.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

check cabellas bargain cave, me and several of my buddies buy our waders there and so far have had good luck with no leaks and they have a good variety in there. i use mine duck hunting for the most part so i have always gone with a neoprene but if you will be working a stream maybe something lighter so you cn use on warm days.

JohnWF
    La Crosse, WI

Breathables with various layers of fleece underwear, selected for the conditions, are a nice approach. I use stocking foot waders and wading boots. I like being able to turn the waders inside out to dry and the breathables do dry quickly. Others swear by the boot foot version.

I got a pair of Hodgman Wadelites about 6 years ago and they have held up well, admittedly under light use. I have no regrets regarding the move from neoprenes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.