Fiberglass or aluminum?

• bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

I am looking to purchase a used boat – as soon as my wife gives me the ok. I am trying to decide between aluminum and fiberglass. I grew up using aluminum boats and have no experince with fiberglass boats. More specifically, I have found some used tri-hull fiberglass boats that look nice and have a decent price, but is there a catch or drawback to these vs. aluminum? Weight, durability, stability? Any advice/pros/cons on both aluminum and fiberglass hulls would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would use this boat primarily on medium to smaller lakes to fish for bass, walleye, pike & crappie, with some occassional trolling.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

IMHO, I would stay far away from a tri-hull boat. They will beat the living snot out of you in anything over a light chop. If I was looking for a used boat, I would look at everything I can find in my price range and buy one that fits your style of fishing, regardless of whether its tin or glass. I think you will find tin to be a bit cheaper, so you may get more bang for your buck than you would with a used glass boat, but I guess that depends on your budget.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Reading between the lines here…
    My guess is that your budget is “low” if you are looking in the price range to find a tri-hull. (btw John hit the nail on the head there)

I would guess you would be happier and have many more options looking for an aluminum boat. If you could give a better description of needs/wants and lakes to be fished as well as some sort of price range we can help you a bit more. Good luck in the hunt. -Mark

bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

I am looking in the range of $1000 to $5000. Under $2500 if purchased this year, or about $5000 if I wait until next year. I saw tri-hull boats were lower in price and that is why I considered that style, but your advice has me thinking I should steer away from them. I live in Maple Grove, so I will be fishing area lakes, as well as lakes from 50 acres small to Mille Lacs or Red Lake occassionally. I do a lot of anchor or drift fishing for bass, pike, crappie and walleye. I have done some trolling in the past and I think I would definitely like to do a lot more of that style fishing. I do not require a large or fast motor – large enough to get around quick, but I am not a speed demon. I am considering a boat with console steering and windhsield – something I could maybe put a cover over to fish in the rain. As far as other passengers, it would be myself and maybe 1 to 2 people.

I think that is about all I am hoping to find. I have looked at Alumacraft Trophys and they look like the style I might want. In my price range, this would be an older boat that could probably use some cosmetic work and/or new flooring. I am ok with that if it fits my needs/budget.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

If you fish smaller lakes with rocky landings etc I would lean towards alum same if you fish lakes with stumps and much safer in alum, lighter in weight only drawback I see is alum is noisier than glass. If you can afford it get a lund but I have fished out of alumcraft, smokercraft, northwoods and lunds and the best for me was an 18ft 1983 lund mr pike, for all around fishing the semi-vee hull was more comfortable but still brought me home dry in four foot rollers/50mph winds on the Chippewa flowage. it had a 75hp on it. if you go with a 16ft you can get away with a 50hp.
    Just for safty I would try to find a boat powered around the 50 to 75% of hp rating you made need the power when the weather kicks up. Ron Good hunting

igotone

Quote:

If you fish smaller lakes with rocky landings etc I would lean towards alum same if you fish lakes with stumps and much safer in alum, lighter in weight only drawback I see is alum is noisier than glass. If you can afford it get a lund but I have fished out of alumcraft, smokercraft, northwoods and lunds and the best for me was an 18ft 1983 lund mr pike, for all around fishing the semi-vee hull was more comfortable but still brought me home dry in four foot rollers/50mph winds on the Chippewa flowage. it had a 75hp on it. if you go with a 16ft you can get away with a 50hp.
    Just for safty I would try to find a boat powered around the 50 to 75% of hp rating you made need the power when the weather kicks up. Ron Good hunting

No less then 75% rating

I would never go with anything less then he rating for the boat
    after owning more then 4 boats

Being under powered is NO good

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Be picky and find a nice aluminum boat that was well taken care of. There are a lot to choose from right now

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Get yourself a nice aluminum boat. If you do some shopping, you can get a very fishable boat for that price. I would look for one that requires very little to no work, so you can start saving for a better boat one day if you wish. Most important is getting a boat as soon as you can so you can go fishing whenever you want!

kroger3
    blaine mn

If your open to waiting until next year I would save up and buy this fall. little more money goes alot farther in the fall…

Whiskerkev
    Madison

There is a reason you don’t see new Tri hulls made today.

fireline
    Rochester

Go with a deep v in aluminum .

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Having built a dozen boats or so and sunk a half dozen, i bring a peculiar perspective to this conversation.

Stay away from tri-hulls. enuf said.

Go DeepVee on the water you listed.

Sounds like you will be trailering and if so, aluminum is a lot nicer to tow.

If you go aluminum, a good deep vee will ride well enuf.

The advice about waiting to the fall is excellent, if you can wait. i always buy my hulls in the fall and work on them over the winter. very affordable.

On power, get as much as the plate will allow. You can’t put it on the boat when you need it if you didn’t buy it inthe first place.

I’d also suggest going with a riveted hull, but i get out voted on a lot of sites on that question. I’m old school.

Good luck.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

You could wait til this fall and you will save money.
    OR
    You could find a well kept Lund that requires next to nothing to put into use this spring. If you do, and maintain it properly, the money you spent on it you’ll probably get back by selling it next spring and upgrading to your 5k boat. Think of it as a savings account (although it is not). You can spend a little now, use it all year while saving for next year, then upgrade to get what you want…. or not. You may find that the old $2500 Lund is ample and fits your future needs too. Try it. A $2500 Lund this spring will be the same price next spring.

My $.02

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.