Emerald Shiners

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Any local bait shops have live ones?
    Emeralds not just regular shiners.

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

I haven’t seen any but to be honest I use frozen shiners or chubs and haven’t really paid any attention. You might want to try calling Outdoors Again or Lucky’s Bait in Baudette. The Holiday Station, Cenex and North Country Convenience sell bait in Warroad.

holmsvc
    SE ND

They all do. Log cabin seems to give more shiners per scoop.

Buffalo Fishhead

How many bait dealers can tell the difference between an emerald shiner and a spot-tail shiner or river shiner or sand shiner??

If the minnows they sell are wild caught, there may be several species that they are calling shiners when in fact they are not shiners at all.

The only way they would probably know is if someone is culturing emerald shiners in a hatchery environment and selling them.

ClearCreek

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Right on! I can tell the difference and it makes a difference. If they don’t have a good run of Emeralds I will fish fatheads….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve always had the best luck at Steve’s Lucky Bait right as you get into Baudette.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Well I accidently zoomed by Lucky Bait… The shop right in town referred to me that “They are all Emerald Shiners, how many scoops can I get you?”
    I looked down at the shiners as he lifted them and turned around and walked out.
    So Sad….

Fat heads worked just fine!

I should of did a little more google looking…
    http://www.stevessleepininn.com/did-you-know/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.