Ely area lakes help

• Walleye Hungry

Heading up to Ely area next Monday morning in hopes of finding some fish able ice and targeting walleye. We have a few smaller lakes we plan on targeting but have NEVER fished the area…from what i gather, it seems like its assumed that most lakes will be dirty and stained water? am i wrong? i would assume that my plan would than be bright colors and constantly changing lures.

If anyone could tell me if i am even remotely close that would be great. Also would appreciate some sort of ice/fishing update even though i know it can vary from lake to lake, spot to spot.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Contact Ben Putnam on here, he is from Ely and guides.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Derek,
    Many of the fishable lakes in the region are tannic stained (tea color) while normally, uv patterned jigging raps and spoons would be the ticket, this year a more natural pattern has been sealing the deal. Switching colors, size, and action will help you stay on top of the ever changing moods the walleye have been expressing lately. The most recent cold front kept fish in the smaller lakes in a sluggish temperament, with this slight warm up it will be fun to see how hungry they are. Ice quality varies drastically from lake to lake and the 5″ of snow we received last week has effected some lakes negatively. Most of the area lakes are between 2-7″ of ice and sometimes even on the same lake, so caution is advised. If you’re planning on keeping fish, take the acreage of the lake into consideration. Many of the smaller lakes are highly sensitive to fishing pressure and can be significantly impacted by liberal harvest, so keeping catch and release, or conservative harvest in mind can prevent negative impacts to these lakes. There is a page on this forums for Ely where I have been providing ice updates and will continue to do so as often as I can through this season. To find this page click on “forums” then “Minnesota Lakes and Rivers” and then scroll down to “Ely Area Lakes” feel free to message me with any questions as well.
    Ben

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.