Eliminating wasps from tricky spot.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well like a dumb ass I took my deck table cover off, threw it in the corner of my deck and forgot about it. Last night I was thinking I should recover my deck table. Grabbed the cover that’s balled up and disturbed what looked about 100 nasty wasps that swarmed out of it. I dropped it and ran like a little girl. Knowing the nest is clearly inside the balled up cover but not knowing where, how the hell do I handle this ? I’m trying to hang the new baby swing under the deck but I don’t want her or the other kids on or under the deck until I figure them out. How do I kill them off with out being stung to death ? Not long ago I was swarmed by underground wasps while I was putting up string line for a concrete pour, I hammered a stake right in to the nest and I don’t want to take all that pain in again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I dropped it and ran like a little girl.

LOL

I would generally wait until at least dusk (or at night) to deal with these buzzards. That’s about all I got for ya.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Wear your ice fishing suit. And have a full can of wasp spray.

You could wait until dark. But I usually just take care of them during the day.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Light cover on fire and buy a new one…
    Or wait till evening and spray it with wasp spray, I’ve used a garden hose spray for cover before work’s decent. Lol

Reef W

How big is the cover? Could you get a contractor bag over it and around it pretty quick before they all come out? Then throw it in a bonfire… or just wait for them to die before you open it again lol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would have two cans of the good spray the 20ft stuff. And you chose yourself or Mason someone has to open that bad boy up so you can see and go to town with the spray. Most likely someone is going to get stung but other than the fire suggestion which likely catches your deck on fire and maybe the house, that is how I would attack it. A long stick of sorts could be used to open it up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tis the season.. I shot 2 wasp/hornet nests last night about 8pm… shoot and run !!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tis the season.. I shot 2 wasp/hornet nests last night about 8pm… shoot and run !!

The problem being the cover is balled up. Not knowing where the nest is it’ll have to be un balled and that’s the part I’m scared of.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Or wait till evening and spray it with wasp spray, I’ve used a garden hose spray for cover before work’s decent. Lol

Fire was my first thought. But it’s on my deck.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How big is the cover? Could you get a contractor bag over it and around it pretty quick before they all come out? Then throw it in a bonfire… or just wait for them to die before you open it again lol

The cover is large. Covers a big table and 8 chairs. It would never go in a contractor bag without force. And due to the way I threw the cover yesterday when they started rolling out of it, it is now on my steps in a ball still and not ideal to do anything. Lol I really f’d my self by being lazy and not covering the table back up like the woman said

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is where the perp is hiding.

Attachments:
    1. 20240819_141639-scaled.jpg

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Clip a long string/line to the cover and pull it down into the yard. Hopefully it opens up so you can see what you are dealing with. Either way it gets it away from the house.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Baitcaster and a big Dardevle. Stand back 75 feet away and snag it out off the deck. Then personally I’d use a Molotov Cocktail.

Steve

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Clip a long string/line to the cover and pull it down into the yard. Hopefully it opens up so you can see what you are dealing with. Either way it gets it away from the house.

That’s a good idea to start for sure. The yard is certainly a lot better location than the top of the stairs to the deck.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m liking those ideas, sure wish I could throw it over the neighbors fence and start asking him how he’s going to tackle it, just like he’s asked me 8 times since yesterday.

As for ripping it down the stairs. About 10 steps down they turn and go 90 so I’m worried I’d have to be to close to get it around the corner.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>

Fire was my first thought. But it’s on my deck.

Ahh, don’t let a deck get in your way. Those nice composite decks and the aluminum railings will burn just fine. The key is to use the correct fuel and plenty of it.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Set something round at what will be the inside corner of the stair landing, that should allow you to pull it around the corner without it hanging up.

I’m thinking something like a drink cooler full of water, but anything that is round and heavy should work.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m going to give it a go this evening.
    If I catch them at night are they in a more relaxed state ?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m going to give it a go this evening.
    If I catch them at night are they in a more relaxed state ?

Especially if there is a skunk around

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Good luck…I got tagged by a wasp in the ear a couple weeks ago and I too screamed like a girl. I hate those things.

tswoboda

I’m liking those ideas, sure wish I could throw it over the neighbors fence and start asking him how he’s going to tackle it, just like he’s asked me 8 times since yesterday.

Maybe it’s like the tree thing and just let the wind blow it on the neighbors yard and then *technically* it’s his problem jester

FinickyFish

If you got room throw the whole cover in your space freezer. Few hours later you should be able to handle them as you’d like.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you got room throw the whole cover in your space freezer. Few hours later you should be able to handle them as you’d like.

I don’t think carrying this to my garage freezer is in my best interest. Back in the day we used to do that with bumble bees and then tie fishing line around them and have a bee on a string when they came back to.

sptitze

Wait until dark, throw a tarp over it and spray under it.

blackbay
    mn

Whatever you do please have someone video it. grin

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Wait until dark, throw a tarp over it and spray under it.

that’s what I would do I think..

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

That time of year for those yellow jacket ground bee’s. Nasty little fellers, I like the idea of dragging it off in the yard, and run!!

Iowaboy1

Throw a tarp over it and you and the fam stomp the living daylights out of it.
    Or hand some friends a piece of picket fence then shake it out and watch the show.
    Just kidding.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.