Electronics Advice (without breaking the bank)

• Nick Johnson

It’s the first week of August and I already have the ice fishing itch… I’m looking to purchase a new fishing locator. I know Marcum and vexilar make great electronics.. What do you folks reccomened or what should I stay away from. Any advice would be appreciated.

munchy
    NULL

You’re going to want to say a bit more. Do you want something light and portable to be able to move around all day, or do you want to just be able to setup and not move it all day where something a little bigger might be better? Do you want an integrated camera? Analog or digital? Price range?

Waaaaay too many options out there and you will just get confused as you start getting replies and realize most all brands and models will be listed.

Also do a search, as this subject gets brought up almost daily during the ice season on this and other fishing forums.

David Blais

What ever you decide to buy, wait. Go to the ice fishing show and bring cash. You will get your best deal there. That goes for really any ice fishing stuff

gonehunting

I am not a Marcum user but the Marcum LX-5i is on sale at the Marcum website for $329 plus tax and free shipping. A lot of features for that price.

Cameron white

Hard to beat a vex fl-18 as a decent starter unit. I’m a marcum guy, but too many motor issues on the Lx units.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Depends on budget, but if the budget is tight and this is your first locater it’s tough to beat a FL-8. You can get a used one for cheap, and they are pretty much bullet proof!

404 ERROR
    MN

BW made a good recommendation for the FL-8. I would also look into the Humminbird Ice-35. Yes, it’s less popular with most avid anglers, but they are an incredible value for the features you get. I bought an Ice-35 the year they came out, sometime around 2006? I sold it to a friend of mine 2 years ago to upgrade to an FLX and Helix 5. He loves the unit and it has worked flawless since day 1. The target separation leaves a little to be desired, but the occasional angler would barely notice it over a more expensive unit.

The Marcum units are also being marked down on their website to clear them out for the new models they released, some good deals can be had!

Pick 2 or 3 units you want to check out, head to the ice show and buy the one you like the best. You will not find better deals on a new unit.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Depends on budget, but if the budget is tight and this is your first locater it’s tough to beat a FL-8. You can get a used one for cheap, and they are pretty much bullet proof!

X2. I’ve been using an FL8 for years. Are there newer more expensive units that are “better” ? Of course. But ask yourself….how many MORE fish would you catch with a more expensive locator? I don’t think it would amount to much.

SR

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

If you fish walleye, it’s tough to beat the 2d graph on the lx 6 or helix, especially if they are on the bottom. Traditional flashers can make it tough to pick up a fish right on the bottom

Nick Johnson

I’m thinking about buying the Marcum Lx6. Anybody have any reviews on it?

Kong

I had an LX-6 for a season. I enjoyed it for all of the features and customization it had. I know the LX-6 is supposed to be the lightweight version of the LX-7 designed for hole hopping. I still thought that the big box and carrying case got a bit bulky. so if you only move around some it will be perfect. I sold mine and got a vexilar since i move around a bunch and they are a tad lighter.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

X2. I’ve been using an FL8 for years. Are there newer more expensive units that are “better” ? Of course. But ask yourself….how many MORE fish would you catch with a more expensive locator? I don’t think it would amount to much.

SR

X3
    I have a couple of them now, actually they’re FL-8se (second edition?) unless you do have an old original FL-8. And like Steve says, you’ll see all you need to see. If the fish are down there (and you will mark them if they are) they will either bite or not bite regardless how much you spent on your flasher.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Buy it – got one – love it

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nick Johnson wrote:</div>

Buy it – got one – love it

X2 on the LX-6 !!!!

ShldHveBenHreYserdy
    MN

buy the new ice helix, 2d sonar, flasher, mapping all in one, and cheaper, and you can use it in the summer time.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’ve had an fl8 for a long time. Only thing have had to do is replace the battery once. Can’t see any reason to spend more cash unless it’ll excite you to have more features. It shows if fish are down there and a fancier unit can’t make fish bite.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Ther’s an fl20 on the classifieds.Good unit won’t brake the bank.

catmando
    wis

I have the vex 8. .18 and the marcum lx3 and the lx6 they are all great .But man lx6 is the ticket. DK.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

My first one I bought I bought direct from Vexilar refurbished. they will talk you through options and what each machine did. If your going to only ice fish occasionally less than maybe 10 times in a season then FL-8 is fine.

If you are going to actually fish a bit and just worried about spending more up front then I would still suggest going to the FL-20 or FL-18 that has the zoom features. I chose the FL-20 since it has the cleaner read out. It has the auto zoom feature and is a great unit.

I only fish in lakes mainly 30 ft or less if your in deeper lakes then you may want something else. I have a Helix 5 to which once again if your an occasional ice angler is a great unit because you can get a lot of summer time use out of it too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.