electric fence for deer ?

• cheers

My neighbor is feeding deer and deer are not welcome in my yard . Is an electric fence a sensible option ? What do I need and what should I know about them before going ahead ?
    Thanks

JEREMY
    BP

I feed deer and my neighbors don’t like them cause they eat their flowers and bushes. I said its even cause the woodpeckers they feed pecked holes in my house.

JEREMY
    BP

To answer your ? get a dog.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I can’t say from experience other than a friend who lives in town.
    He’s tried everything, including an electric fence.
    He couldn’t keep them out no matter what he did.
    He gave up gardening except for onions and garlic.

He tried 4 strands of Electric fence and they just got tangled up in it, he assumes and made a mess.

Now an 8 foot high fence all around your yard would work…

Brad Dimond

Unless the electric fence is 8 feet high you are wasting your money. I have seen deer clear a six foot privacy fence from a standing start. They are incredible athletes.

I have a 10′ high tension woven wire fence around my back plot and have seen deer clear that a few times.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you’re in or adjacent to a CWD zone, report them.

Otherwise, buy a good slingshot and a bag of marbles. Deer don’t enjoy marbles in the a$$ at all.

Brad Dimond

Wrist rocket slingshot is good. I use the steel balls, recover them using a strong magnet on a stick.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

If deer are not welcome in your yard, you shouldn’t have put your yard where deer live doah

Alittlefishy

My parents owned hunting property in Northern MN. There was a neighbor who had a shack up there who basically lived off the land. He would take bags of his feces and place them around the perimeter of his garden to keep the deer away. He swore by this method! Could be worth a shot.

The best method is a full sized dog that lives outside fulltime, something like a German Shepherd inside your fenced yard.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, an electric fence will work to a large degree. My parents lived in northern MN with a high deer population and they used a fence successfully to keep deer away from their gardens and landscaping.

It’s not a 100% solution, but deer fear getting trapped somewhere, so unless you have a very high value food source inside the fence, most deer won’t risk getting inside a fence that’s even 5 feet high.

Also, when you put up the fence, don’t put lots of flags or “high vis” tape on it. Just let the deer walk into it and get zapped. Deer don’t understand what happened when they got zapped, they seem to just know that whatever it was, they want to stay far away from it. Which is just what you want.

The only downside is that when deer touch a fence, they run forward. So then you end up with a torn up fence until the deer learn to stay away. It’s just the price you pay, but just know that you have to check your fence a lot and watch your controller for the “down” signal.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So, do you want to keep them out of your entire yard or just a garden? The sprays (Liquid Fence, etc) have actually worked really well for keeping them from devouring my garden, provided that I follow the directions as far as application frequency.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Just put up a sign that says,
    “No Trespassing!
    Deer this means You!” devil

cheers

I need to keep them off my septic field where they roam all over and tramp down the snow and also munch my wife’s plants. She has tried repellent but that is not an option during winter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.