Eelpout in the north metro

• watisituya
    North Metro

Every fall I seem to catch or hear of one being caught in the mississippi. The other night i probably caught 8 in an hour. Some were very nice size. Anybody know where these guys come from? I always thought these guys were much farther north in these numbers. This is the mississipi north of the coon rapids dam and south of the 169 bridge…

Dave maze
    Isanti

Mille lacse is the probable source. The rum river dumps in below the 169 bridge and starts on the south west shore of mille.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

EELPOUT lives in Farmington But you could catch him driving around there from time to time. grin

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve caught them in the Mississippi just north of St. Cloud.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Probably come down from Winni.

-J.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Never caught one up that way, cool catches.

Do alot of fish go over dams? Rum is there but they’d have to dump over the spillway? I’d guess they were just bunched up and you happened to be on top of em.

Always wanted to get to know that stretch more but moved out of area.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Any fish egg can get washed into the river system out of the upstream lake. Doesn’t need to be a live fish that makes it.

-J.

blank

Or they have always been native to the river.

Burbot can be found in most Minnesota northern lakes and rivers, including Lake Superior, but can also be found in small numbers in the prairie regions and parts of the lower Mississippi. They are good indicators of a healthy watershed. Typically they require water temps lower than 70 degrees during the summer and are a rare catch, but come winter-time, these predators come alive and are most active.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/minnaqua/speciesprofile/burbot.html

watisituya
    North Metro

I always assumed that they would have came from Mile Lacs with the occasional one or two caught here and there. Never thought of Winnie, that is a possibility. In the past they were always extremely skinny almost eel like. These are nice, fat and stacked. I hope they are back like this next year. Gives a guy something to target other than channels this time of year.

A few others brought some home, I was tempted to as well. I haven’t tasted them yet, but decided cleaning and cooking fish that late on a Sunday was not worth it. I heard they do not freeze well?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good point Jon.

tim hurley

Have also heard they do not freeze well

rubberduck
    east bethel

Every fall I seem to catch or hear of one being caught in the mississippi. The other night i probably caught 8 in an hour. Some were very nice size. Anybody know where these guys come from? I always thought these guys were much farther north in these numbers. This is the mississipi north of the coon rapids dam and south of the 169 bridge…

you must be by the confluence in the hole I assume, never seen a pout caught lots of kitties tho. would be nice to put a few pout in the boiling 7up!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Oh BTW–any cats up there?

Defenitely a quality over quantity channel fishery.

Snake ii’s

They have been caught in the Rum River, between Cambridge and Walbo. Rare, but not unheard of.

watisituya
    North Metro

Better chance below Coon rapids dam

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.