East and West Rush in Chisago County

• Kyle Wills

Hi everyone,

New to fishing this area. Was wondering if anyone had any insight on this duo of lakes? Looking to chase walleyes and crappies. I see the DNR report says only 2.5 ft water clarity, but that was in August. Does it get any better in the winter? Does it effect the depths you would normally find walleyes and crappies at?

Any insight is good. Thanks for your help!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

They are clearer now than in August. The lakes are connected but very different. In my experience walleyes are usually shallower on east and deeper on west. Your best bet for walleyes will be a short window at sunrise and sunset.
    As far as crappies go, just follow the crowds, they are on the crappies.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Remembering back when I was a kid a good starting point for crappies was 2-1/2 arm lengths. When we fished walleyes it was always at dusk in shallower water.

I think most lakes get a little better clarity in the winter.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Grubson is correct about the crowds on Rush. It gets packed with people!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Weekends are crazy busy on both lakes. There are wheel houses and permanents all over the main structures on East. Haven’t been out on West yet but if tradition holds any thing not far from the access on West will be a zoo. Much quieter during the week.

East is fairly clear now. Have seen years when it was clearer but there was a lot of snow cover to kill the algae.

To access East you need to use the public access or Flickabirds. Peterson’s resort is closed and torn down.

tim hurley

Always a good bite somewhere on those lakes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve found it a lot tougher out there the last two seasons than it usually is. Used to go out there and catch a nice batch of crappies just about every time out. It gets pounded.

Charles

kinda of a party lake, Awesomoe muskie fishing in the summer!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Thanks for this info below, Guess i haven’t been there in a while. I used to walk out from there early and late ice.

“To access East you need to use the public access or Flickabirds. Peterson’s resort is closed and torn down”

Deuces

Whole family was fishing on the dock for the 4th on east Rush, most the kids had 4# test tied to some gulp to catch all the lil stuff around, our 6yr old had a real nice sunny on with the rod and reel, as she was pulling it just out the water 40″+ muskie came and snatched it, big splash pole bent in half and snap! Hung around for a bit then went swimming off real slow, all the kids thought coolest thing ever.

Was really glad she didn’t have the line tied around her finger like the rest doah

I fished it pretty good last year when my mom moved onto it. Really impressed with the fishery for being so close to cities.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.