Early Spring Bass

• scottaheller

So Wisconsin changed its bass season to have a catch/release from April 1st until middle May. I have never focused on bass this early in the year. Our lake as a good population of largies and the ice went off yesterday so I’m hoping to be on the water this weekend. Looking for any suggestions for baits and presentations.
    Thanks!

FryDog62

I think a possible way to target the first migration of bass into the shallows could be throwing smaller/subtle spinnerbaits – like a Mimic Minnow or larger Beetle Spin. They are semi-resitant to weeds, branches, etc.

In the past we have used those types of lures to find migrating schools of crappies but the largemouth will hit them too if present. Unfortunately, the toothy scud-missiles will hit them too so bring plenty ~

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s funny you say that Frydog because I hammered 2-3 lb bass yesterday in MN while fishing for crappie with a beetle spin. Same thing with small paddletails. They are all about those quick easy meals right now.

FryDog62

It’s funny you say that Frydog because I hammered 2-3 lb bass yesterday in MN while fishing for crappie with a beetle spin. Same thing with small paddletails. They are all about those quick easy meals right now.

Yep, water temp now 50 and the crappies are snapping at the Beetle Spins… and some largies too. Quick release and back to the slabs…

Attachments:
    1. F07C4C83-0EB5-4DD5-A876-6AA0C01E0370.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice work

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Same story out in Wright county. Water temp around 48-49. Have yet to connect on crappie. But, we found sunfish in old standing weeds in 4-5fow. Bass were on fire chasing the bluegills. They hit everything from small beetlespins to tiny jigs with plastics. Some real toads too. Largest was 20 1/2”.

scottaheller

We were out on saturday, water temp was 47 and no fish on anything. Didn’t spend too much time on the water before the winds changed and cooled off quickly. Will be out again this weekend but not expecting too much of a difference with the cool temps all week.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.