Early spring

• Michael Best

On my way to SD this morning I seen 2 bucks feeding away in the ditch as I drove by a mile north of the oxbow area I like to hunt in western Mn.
    Definitely early in the growing season but they already were branching past the brows.
    While I was driving I had the Exxodus podcast on. They were talking about early spring and antler growth.

It got me to thinking. We had a mild winter and early spring. So no stress on the herd from the winter.
    To add to it all the rain has everything growing like crazy so plenty of food out there.
    The herd should be healthy and bucks packing on inches.

Michael Best

Did some scouting last night from the road by some public I hunt in western MN.
    Seen 5 bucks I would shoot this fall and one was a giant. Since it’s public I can’t put out any trail cameras so it’s going to be scouting with the spotter and hopefully I can get some digiscoping pics.

The thing that was disturbing was I bet I seen around 40 does last night. Only one had twin fawns. The rest of the does had no fawns with them.

Anyfish2

I have yet to notice a size of the bucks I have seen near me in central MN.

I agree, it seems alarming how few fawns I have seen so far. I hope it is the fact that grass is high, understory is thick and many hay fields have yet to be cut 1 time due to rain, that fawns just are less visable. Trail cams on my 80 have only 3 fawns on them so far. very suprising.

Jimmy Jones

Most of the fawns I’ve seen were spread out on the highways. We were in Pine Island last Sunday and almost drilled a doe and 2 fawns when they bolted from high weeds on the road’s shoulder right in front of us. Thankfully it was in a rural residential area where the speed limit is reduced. And on the same road home after our festivities, well after dark, we saw a dandy buck in almost the same area. He had quite the headgear already….heavy and long tined.

With the abundance of rain this year the countryside is a whole lot different than it was last year. Everything is major league green and three times the size of what it was last year. I don’t think the does need to call fawns out to where the does are feeding because there’s so much food for the small ones where they are not easily seen. But judging by how many I’ve seem smear on the pavement I don’t think there’s a shortage of fawns. Last winter and this early spring was nothing but prime for fawn production as well as of that that hides the little deer.

The landowner where I hunt did some buckthorn abatement on the hill this spring and he saw lots of twins and a couple triplet fawns while he worked. The two sets of triplets were seen at the same time, late day in an alfalfa patch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.