Eagle forage soybeans

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The Eagles in my test plot at home continue to impress. Forage soybeans are not made for pod production primarily, but these Eagles sure have a lot of pods on them and the beans size in the pods is pretty impressive this year also. What’s even more strange is they are still flowering on September 3rd trying to put on even more pods.

Attachments:
    1. flowering.jpg

sticker

pods on the plants

Attachments:
    1. pods.jpg

rubberduck
    east bethel

Looks good sticker! You have convinced me to do beans next year! thanks for sharing your knowledge!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Now that I’m growing Eagle Forage Soybeans on my place, I can’t imagine NOT growing them. The deer attraction is second to none, the deer are just all over the soybean plot at all times. I’ve never had to fence off any food plot crop until I planted Eagles, but had I not put the Plot Saver fence around them, there would be a field of bean stumps there now.

To me, pod yield in a nice bonus, but I’m really planting forage soybeans for the leaves and stems where the deer will get about 90% of the total calories and protein that come from this plot. Also, if I were to go back to ag beans, yes there is the potential for more beans, however, it would never come to that because in my little 1.1 acre bean plot, the deer would have the plot mowed down to bean stumps by July 15 and therefore the yield would be zero.

Unless you have very, very few deer and plots larger than 3 acres, or unless you have hundreds of acres of ag soybeans right next to your plots, I can’t see how you’d beat the forage soybeans like Eagles in terms of overall performance.

Yes, there is the cost of the seed to consider, but I look at it this way. I literally spend more on egg McMuffins and Taco Bell going to and from my farm in the summer to work on food plots than I spend on the Eagle soybean seed that I plant in my plot. The seed cost is really one of the cheapest items in the account ledger in terms of cost per acre to run a hunting property.

Grouse

sticker

Exactly my point Grouse, but you point it out more clearly. I am growing these at home and at the farm for forage and for a bean that can better keep up to browse pressure, BUT, I am getting the benefit of pods and lots of them, which is a pure bonus yay

The fact that they are still flowering and trying to put on pods when ag beans are shutting down and drying out just baffles me.

basseyes

Sticker how big is your bean plot?

sticker

Sticker how big is your bean plot?

The one in this picture is about 1/4 acre.

sticker

Here is a pic of the whole plot for reference Basseyes.

Attachments:
    1. Eagles-9-4-2018.jpg

sticker

One more of the height of the beans. I would say they are over 4′ tall.

Attachments:
    1. eagle-2-9-4.jpg

sticker

I’ll stick with the northern mix of Eagle beans that Grouse has been selling me, plus he’s 5 miles away so shipping is free grin

rubberduck
    east bethel

What kind of soil do you have there Sticker?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What kisind of soil do you have there Sticker?

Just for reference my farm is in the Hinckley area. I have heavy soil with lots of rock and near gravel on any high spots.

The Eagle beans grow great. I think the key in bad soil like I have is lime if your soil is at all acidic. I spread 1 ton this year just on my bean plot.

Also you need proper soybean fertilizer. Usually this means the P and K are quite high. I use 5-29-34. Your mileage may vary but what I’m saying is that in most cases generic lawn fertilizers like 20 20 20 will not work well enough.

Grouse

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks Grouse. Good to know about the right fertilizer!

sticker

What kind of soil do you have there Sticker?

It’s heavy black dirt with some clay, doesn’t drain real well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.