Duluth Harbor Lakers?

• Spencer Hokkanen

I am going to visit family in Duluth in two weeks and I was wondering if it is time to go after those lake trout in Superior yet?!

Farroutfishing

People have been fishing out off of London for the last few days. Heard a couple around 15 lbs taken but otherwise I heard of has been slow.

Curt
    Chisholm, MN

Hey I was thinking of trying out there this weekend if the weather hods out, never have before any suggestions? How deep are they at?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I will be out there this weekend as well. finally get some decent weather. But the word is that they are sitting around 70 fow and dead cisco has been good bait for some people. I will probably be giving the rippin rap a try on them. whistling

Curt
    Chisholm, MN

Thanks for the info carter, I may give it a try. I haven’t been lake trout fishing since I was little. Usually go for crappies and walleyes pretty hard during the season. Just a little nervous and the ice and don’t want to have an accident, Ill check some reports on Friday, if I do go it will be Sat or Sun.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I was out there on Saturday. 8″ of ice out from Brighton Beach.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks for the info carter, I may give it a try. I haven’t been lake trout fishing since I was little. Usually go for crappies and walleyes pretty hard during the season. Just a little nervous and the ice and don’t want to have an accident, Ill check some reports on Friday, if I do go it will be Sat or Sun.

Keep an eye on the wind. 15 mph from any direction can be trouble. If you see a forecast for 15-25, I would stay home myself. Call Marine General for an accurate report.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was out there on Saturday. 8″ of ice out from Brighton Beach.

That 8″ is now in Bayfield.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

That is crazy…unbelieveable how quick that can change on the big lake.

Curt
    Chisholm, MN

Thanks. Just would like a get out there and be safe. Ill check with marine general end of the week. Looks like it should warm up a little this weekend. What sort of lures and line do most of you use? 15-20 lb line?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

there is good ice off of 21st and also by the Lester river. Many more people around the Lester today.

Curt
    Chisholm, MN

Thats good to hear. I took a quick drive by after work on Friday, being that I work downtown Duluth, but I commute from the range. If you guys ever need a report let me know! I am headed down there tomorrow to give it a try. Has anyone been having luck? Hopefully we can snag a keeper or two! What size ripping raps do you normally have good luck with? I am going with a sweedish pimple or 1 oz. bucktail tomorrow with cisco. Thanks for the tips!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I only got a steelhead and a smelt on 21st. But that was on the number 4 rippin rap and a slender spoon. I have been hearing that people have had luck on cisco and bucktails.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Let me be the first to say that meat is not needed on a bucktail. I’ve only found that it ruins the action and winds up getting tangled more often with meat.

I quit tipping my lures with meat and have actually had much better luck.

The only time I use a cisco or smelt is when it’s on an iFish Pro.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I just used a muskie lure! Hahahah

Attachments:
    1. image9.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Thats a beauty of a laker! crazy on that musky lure. shock

Curt
    Chisholm, MN

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try next time on one of the lines. Growing up around Ely, that’s what always seemed to work up there. LS is a very unique lake, very intimidating that’s for sure. No luck for me on Saturday, we marked a few on the marcum but no bites and the ice was moving a lot, we were setup close to the pressure ridge, my buddy freaked out and we left around 11am.

Anyhow, the ice looked good at Brighten beach, we drove by after on Saturday. I might give it a shot tomorrow Wednesday afternoon after work. I’d like to try a little deeper. I was thinking of trying Brighten beach. Anyone interested? I hate going alone, esp. this time of the year. Let me know. Any good report of whats working? Thanks! I may drive by tonight after work and give a ice report if I have time!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.