Dual Fuel Generator

• Ice Cap

I bought the Champion dual fuel 2000 watt generator to power the fish house this year. I have used it a couple times now and this thing is a great generator at the price point of $600! Some great features on this generator that I really like. The led read out for gas remaining in the tank and a readout for how many hours is left to run on gas that’s remaining in the tank. Not sure how accurate the time remaining read out is but it gets you in the ball park. Also it shows on start up how many run hours are on the generator.
    Also a little led light on the handle that flips out when adding gas that perfectly lights up the fuel receptacle when pouring in gas. And it’s every bit as quiet as a Honda easily.

But the most impressive thing to me was how long this will run on a 20lb tank of propane. The book says you should get 24 hours run time on a 20lb tank with the generator running on eco mode. I was up at Red the last few days. Friday I decided to use up a 20lb tank of propane that was about half full maybe a little more but not much more at all. The generator was going to need gas in another hour and I decided to run it on the propane instead.

I started it on the propane at 5:07 that evening. It finally quit at 10:19 this morning. Just over 17 hours on about a half tank! I was impressed!! I think I’m done hauling gas cans around for ice fishing. I’m usually bringing up a 30lb for the ice house furnace just as easy to throw a extra 20 in for the generator.

Champion generator

Amazon link:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC72FP6?tag=price1101300-20&ascsubtag=wtbs_5dfeb76e90991ba2963346f5

roger

Looks pretty sweet!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nice generator and I can see where the dual fuel option would be a good deal for ice guys to get extended run times without faffing around with the outboard tank conversion deals.

I have to think that if you use good synthetic oil and change it regularly, you’ll have years of service out of that machine. I just don’t believe that you have to spend almost a grand to get a decent portable generator now days, it’s not a high tech machine.

How’s the sound level on that machine?

Grouse

Ice Cap

Everybody told me I had to have a Honda but there are so many of these little generators out there at the $400-$600 price point I thought the same thing as you @TheFamousGrouse. This isn’t high tech equipment and I didn’t want to pay extra for the name Honda. I knew Champion had been in power equipment a long time and I trusted they would make a decent generator. Plus this has so many more features than the Honda.

Specs are 57db at 20ft same as Honda and it’s every bit as quiet as the many Honda’s I’ve heard running. I set it up about 6′ in front of the house and can barely hear it humming away outside. I run 5W30 synthetic in it and change it every other time before going out.

B-man

Glad it worked out for you, but in the long run I think you’ll be happier running gas. It’s a lot less expensive and isn’t an issue in below zero temps like propane can be.

I wish I could run my shack heater on gasoline mrgreen

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s a lot less expensive and isn’t an issue in below zero temps…

Carb icing is an issue below zero on Honda and other generators.

I can see the attraction of propane for easy starts and low maintenance. I use my generator quite a bit at the farm, so I don’t have any issues, but for a seasonal generator I can see the attraction of propane.

Grouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.