Drotto

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Thinking about getting one of these for my 23 Lund Adventure 1775.
    Has anybody got a review on it. Looks like there are two different companies but the same product.
    Do they work as good as the videos make them look like they do.

mojogunter

I have had both a couple drotto’s and a currently a boat2 trailer. They both work well. I switched to the boat2 trailer because it looks to better protect the boat. The drotto, I got some scratches in the gel coat. Either I’m sure you will be happy with. I did have to make some adjustments to make them work for me. I can go into further detail if you are interested.

mojogunter

Get ready for a few people on here to tell you they are worthless and not needed.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I would be interested in the adjustments that were needed. From pictures I can’t tell the deference between the two.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just put a Drotto on my trailer for my 619 Ranger…
    I had to do some adjustments on the winch stand… The best way I can explain it is that I eyeballed it the best I could before putting the boat and trailer to the landing.. One at the landing, loading and unloading I adjusted a little more and I have it dialed in… I attached a rope and handle to the release lever and put this in the truck each time after the boat is in the water…

So far I like it alot…

mojogunter

Your Lund may be different, but I had a stratos and my current ranger both needed the front strap eye on the bow adjusted out further so there is enough room to attach the winch strap. I also had to switch the winch strap to pull from the bottom rather than over the top, or the bow would bounce on the trailer pulling down the road. Two things I will also say with the stratos on the bunk trailer once I was up close enough to power load to attach I had to make sure the motor was trimmed down enough or a couple of times the bow was light enough to lift up and over the drotto. I did it twice and that was a PITA to get the front back over the drotto to try again to latch. With the motor trimmed down it wasn’t an issue. The ranger bow is heavy enough it isn’t an issue. The Lund may be completely different. I actually have enough room to attach the strap and the safety chain. That may be overkill, but since there is room I put it on too.

Attachments:
    1. 20240205_210539_copy_462x1000.jpg

2. 20240205_210516_copy_462x1000.jpg

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Your Lund may be different, but I had a stratos and my current ranger both needed the front strap eye on the bow adjusted out further so there is enough room to attach the winch strap. I also had to switch the winch strap to pull from the bottom rather than over the top, or the bow would bounce on the trailer pulling down the road. Two things I will also say with the stratos on the bunk trailer once I was up close enough to power load to attach I had to make sure the motor was trimmed down enough or a couple of times the bow was light enough to lift up and over the drotto. I did it twice and that was a PITA to get the front back over the drotto to try again to latch. With the motor trimmed down it wasn’t an issue. The ranger bow is heavy enough it isn’t an issue. The Lund may be completely different. I actually have enough room to attach the strap and the safety chain. That may be overkill, but since there is room I put it on too.

100% solid advise on the bow rise. I bought a used boat with it on the trailer and I hated it for the first trip with it. Finally the last day of the trip there was a friendly guy at the ramp and gave me some pointers on loading with it… Keep trailer out of water just bit more than I was before, and keep the bow down.

Gregg Gunter

Mojo I will try your tip to trim the motor down. I have a ‘21 Alumacraft Competitor and when loading the bow tends to lift too. But I love the Drotto. Also got EZ Step. The two make it easy for this old guy!

Tom B

Love mine on a alumacraft

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve had my Drotto for 2 years now. I have a Alumacraft Trophy. The first year I sucked at loading boat with it. I quit using it after the first month and water warmed up. I had a hard time getting it to latch when loading. I finally got the hang of it last year and love it. I wouldn’t own a roller trailer without it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Get ready for a few people on here to tell you they are worthless and not needed.

I think the narrative that was most common was that they were a great tool for roller trailers, and offered far less benefit for those with correctly utilized bunk trailers?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have one on my 2021 Lund Impact, LOVE it, works every time on my roller trailer. The Key is to load the boat half way and then throttle down to let the front drop and settle on to the rollers and then load till it clicks. Had the same unit on my 2008 Trophy and could not get to work 98% of the time. I think it had to do with the height of the winch on that trailer.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Great that’s what I wanted to here. I’m sure there will be a learning curve on getting to latch on a constant basis. I think it will help with both loading and unloading.

mann4ducks

Great for by yourself or with your partner not sure about MN lakes on western reservoirs AR reservoirs On steep ramps with a skeeter 2040 great to get it centered and hooked every time no float back when you pull out trailer took me awhile to pull the trigger never looked back

Bartman

I have a lot of experience with the Drotto. Have never had any problem on either Lund, Alumacraft or Ranger. No adjustment was necessary at install. Just follow the manufacturers instructions.
    Since my Ranger is nose heavy I have to be careful not to back in too far when I launch or the Minnkota bangs off the Drotto roller. Once I got that figured out no problem.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

But I love the Drotto. Also got EZ Step.

2 of the best things I put on my boat. Great when there’s no dock!!
    Oh, Santa’s in a time out. He’s on the naughty list.

Attachments:
    1. drotto-ezee-step-scaled.jpg

navtiller
    chippewa falls

I put one on my 1875 Impact with bunk trailer, absolutely love it. The only adjustment I made was moving the winch post forward a couple of inches. Once you get accustom to it, you glide your boat in at the landing and let the boat get centered and then just bump the throttle slightly and you can hear the Drotto click. Thats it!

Gregg Gunter

I’ve had my Drotto for 2 years now. I have a Alumacraft Trophy. The first year I sucked at loading boat with it. I quit using it after the first month and water warmed up. I had a hard time getting it to latch when loading. I finally got the hang of it last year and love it. I wouldn’t own a roller trailer without it.

I sent you a PM.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.