Downsizing – Ned vs. Micro crankbaits

• FryDog62

I can see from the other threads here that a lot of people like the Ned rig – I agree it’s great and absolutely works, but man does anyone else find that it’s sometimes a PIA to fish?? If I know of some isolated areas that hold fish it’s fine, but if it’s an entire shoreline or weed edge it takes FOREVER.

Anyone tried throwing micro cranks as an alternative? Same concept as a Ned in that sometimes the fish just want something small or a lure they haven’t seen before.

I started experimenting with some micro crankbaits last year in Minn and South Dakota. Theyre fun! Most are about 1.5 inches long (closer to the size of most minnows) and they get bit. I now have a few that dive to 3 feet, 7 and even 10. Can be cast on light spinning gear or BFS.

Anyone else tried this with success??

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3729-1-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_3729.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How do you keep a treble hooked lure from getting hung up in the weeds? If you’re having difficulty with a ned, certainly a crankbait with trebles isn’t gonna be any better.

Maybe I’m confused here as to where you intend to toss these.

FryDog62

How do you keep a treble hooked lure from getting hung up in the weeds? If you’re having difficulty with a ned, certainly a crankbait with trebles isn’t gonna be any better.

Casting to the weed edge – not into it. Same I do with a ned for the most part ~

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

He’s saying it’s a PIA because you have to fish slow with it. The crank is a finesse presentation that covers water faster.

I think I’d be donating most of those micro cranks to pike on the lakes I fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Oh gotcha, I see

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

He’s saying it’s a PIA because you have to fish slow with it. The crank is a finesse presentation that covers water faster.

I think I’d be donating most of those micro cranks to pike on the lakes I fish.

Pike are an issue for sure, but I haven’t lost any more than a regular sized crankbait… maybe slightly less. Funny, fishing a freshwater canal down here that drains out to the Gulf, but 4 miles inland, I did catch a 20 lb tarpon on a MacBeth 39!

mrpike1973

I agree the Ned is slow and really not much fun in even sparse weeds. I really mess with lots of different plastics. My findings are the regular turd worm gets bit the least as craws for me seem to be better almost like a Texas rig as they usually hit it on the fall. Been messing with cranks some myself. Biggest issue is always trying to get the right running depth over weeds. Either too deep or snagging the weeds that are floating etc. I cast parallel to edge mostly just get weeds casting to the edge or fouled up. My favorite actually is a Countdown lure in a smaller size 7 usually. Once I get my count down I can cast out with more consistency.

FryDog62

Went to a lake this morning known for high numbers but smaller fish. Decided to go all BFS as inspiration for my buddy JW (who is a frequent lurker here and one foot down the BFS rabbit hole with me) and use only micro cranks. Caught about 40 fish between 12-15 inches but it was a blast…

Here is today’s line up – all 1.5-2 inches long. Winners were the jerk bait and the Damiki Disco crank.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3739.jpeg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.