Douglas County – NW Wisconsin ??

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Any suggestions on the area this coming week?

I’ll be heading up on Thursday or Friday to the far NW corner of Wisconsin for a motorcycle ice race on Allouez Bay, in Superior, WI. The race is Saturday…. and I’m hoping to leave early, packing light for a day of ice fishing.

Thinking something accessible, maybe a small lake for crappies and such, or if safe, maybe something all new on the Saint Louis Bay… if that is even a consideration, or valid thought. Having a hard time finding info for the area.

Looked at maps… maybe Lyman Lake? Nebagamon may be too large. Think I’ll be in a rental car without shelter.

Thanks for any suggestions….

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Way outside my area, but I’ll check around with a couple guys I know. In the meantime, you probably know this but use the WI DNR page to search up lake info in that area.

-Rev

Chuck Melcher

Yup… between that and a good mapping thing on Lake Link, I have done some work already. Also, knowing snow cover up that way would be good. Leaving truck, atv and such at home, so I’ll be on foot pulling minimal gear.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Man, I’m coming up pretty blank. One thing to ponder, an hour east on Hwy 2 is Chequamegon Bay on the Ashland side. I know the ice has been good, and access on foot is pretty doable. Reports are overall pretty good for ‘eyes and browns, as well as pike and perch off the Ashland side. I guess Washburn side is only now making safe ice, and that’ll all depend on wind.
    Check the reports on L/L under that same name…couple of guides and the Ashland Chamber post pretty regular fishing and ice updates. Chequamegon is one of those high on my list of plans every year, and I never quite make it up there.
    St. Louis Bay looks intriguing too…swear I’ve read some recent posts about the ice on it, pretty sure it was this site. James, was it you who was there this year, or was I reading old posts? Sorry I don’t have much more to offer than an idea, if I hear anything else I’ll let you know.
    As always, good luck and be safe!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Pike Lake Chain SE of Iron River should be good… I don’t know anything really about it, but have had friends fish it through the ice… I know Gillespie was there early with Josh Teigen and they did well on pike… I think they fished a backcountry lake for panfish, so I don’t know more than that. Sorry I can’t help with points of access or better lakes to fish… Minong Flowage, Nelson Flowage & the Eau Claire Chain might be options too…

Mark

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Ive fished the st. louis bay a number of years going to school in duluth. havent been there for the past two. If the ice is safe its a nice option and easily walkable. Theres a huge flat out there off the little airport on park point. Basically draw a line from the airport on park point to the perkins in superior. In my experience no place was better than the next. Use bright color jig with minnow head due to the water clarity, I perfered buckshots with a rattle. You will be able to see the current changing while jigging and when it does be ready!!! Ive seen a lot of nice eyes come out of there including some sturgeon and elpout. Best of luck

Chuck Melcher

Thanks a lot guys…. couldn’t leave early with work, so heading up tomorrow w/o the gear. Will be back in a few weeks and make sure to get fishing in this time!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

…and make sure to get fishing in this time!

Funny, that’s my one and only New Year’s resolution! -)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.