Don’t forget to try ‘boring’ spots

• tim hurley

I was stuck fishing a Saturday, lots of boats on my favorite spots. This lake has a good basin bite for most of the year. People were fishing by points, humps, or by a fertile bay-all good stuff. Instead of sliding between boats I tried basin areas in the same depth range but kinda in the middle of nowhere. Found a stretch loaded with fish and all to myself. Water temps have come down, fish were in 18′ but I also found crappies and sunnies near docks in 5′.

gimp

So why tell about it here? I would not say anything and just keep fishing in the boring spot and keep it all to myself.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good information Tim. Thanks.

CaptainMusky

Tim thinking outside the box I like it! I often try overlooked spots in Canada when we are up there because we seem to always battle the wind and have to find some protected area. We did really well this year on some pretty boring spots.

deertracker

So why tell about it here? I would not say anything and just keep fishing in the boring spot and keep it all to myself.

What lake was he on?
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Doesn’t sound boring to me. But in all seriousness, wouldn’t the basin be your first go to right now for them.

tim hurley

Yup and the lake usually has a basin bite, everyone myself included gravitates to basin spots close to more interesting structure. Did not name the lake so not giving away too much-Bear probably knows the lake.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished the boring spot last weekend at my cabin. It took some work to get a meal but I scored on these two hogs in the process. It should only get better from here. Cant wait to get back.

Attachments:
    1. 20240818_125901-002-scaled.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Tim when you say “fish” what were you targeting?

bullcans
    Northfield MN

It’s actually quite refreshing to read an honest and actual report, and someone sharing their experience.

Used to be a lot more of that on here.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I fished our lake all night with no success and decided to just troll a Rattle Trap home. This little fella decided he was hungry; in the middle of nowhere land on the lake. Total surprise. According to the DNR, there are no Muskies in our lake….

I didn’t have a net in the boat, but neighbor was fishing nearby so I called him over. He only had a small net and thee fish didn’t fit very well. The fish flopped out of the net and the Rattle Trap was still in the net stuck to the hoop, but my rod tip kept bouncing. Started reeling again and it turns out he was looped twice over his top jaw and we ended up getting him for a picture. No idea how he didn’t cut the 6 lb test line…..

Attachments:
    1. Tiger.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Pretty fish and a good story!!

tim hurley

Beautiful Tiger!
    I was fishing crappies.
    Like most on this site I stay mum on spots but not on techniques-I’ll even name lakes in a PM.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Stunning color on that tiger muskie.

CaptainMusky

Those are one of if not they prettiest fish

Spoon Minnow

That’s one monster of a fish. I’m surprised it didn’t break your rod in half! You must carry a huge net just-in-case.
    What lure did you catch it on?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.