Don't bother coming up to Rainy for the next day or two

• Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Drove up this morning from the cities, headed home now. Birchdale is completely locked up, people are going of Frontier but there is only a small area on the Minnesota side open and it is a complete zoo at the launch. Rigs waiting to launch are lined up down the highway. Talked to a couple of people coming off and they weren’t catching much. I’m coming back on Thursday, hopefully it will be fishable by then. Heres a picture of Birchdale from this afternoon. There was a couple of 14 foot boats that busted ice and were trying to fish, talked to one of them but they gave up after a couple of hours of not catching anything. Pretty sick of this winter.

Attachments:
    1. 20180407_135831.jpg

basseyes

That had to be a fun day in the vehicle.

What are the odds it’s open to fish by Thursday with the forecast?

This winter is a grind, and not in a good way.

Thanks for posting, sorry that had to suck to get up there and see that.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I can remember driving up 71 a few years ago and all the boats heading south giving us a thumbs down. Horrible feeling being that close and knowing its a wasted trip.

CBMN
    North Metro

Did you see the forecast for Friday and Saturday?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

Sounds like a snow shovel for the boat might be in order. Then again 30 mph winds might just blow it out.

Mike Parry

Went up to Frontier yesterday (April 6). River was open about a mile west of Frontier, but none of that mattered to us because our boat wouldn’t turn over in the cold. Tried everything for three hours at the access and had to drive the 4 hours home. The only consolations were (1) it was brutally cold/windy so it woulda been miserable, and (2) every single boat that came out of the river while we were there said they were completely skunked (about 20 boats).

With how behind schedule things are with the spring run, is it possible Rainy River would be a decent option for fishing opener?

Bass-n-Eyes

I’m still planning on coming back Thursday, the forecast for Monday-Wednesday is for warmer temps. I think it will be back open. The problem was the strong northwest winds, which kept the ice chunks from heading downstream and with the low around zero Friday night it froze solid. Highs in the mid 20s today kept it from thawing. Low of zero tonight will freeze it more so it probably won’t be fishable tomorrow but I think when it warms up the beginning of the week it will open. I’m waiting to hear the nightmare stories of people trying to get off Frontier this evening. I counted 62 boats out in the little open water there this afternoon with a big line of boats waiting to launch. Only one boat at a time can use that ramp, so if it takes 5 minutes per boat to load that’s over 3 hours just to get everybody off.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

[/quote]

I would keep a close eye on the forecast from several different sources for this week. Most of the last several predicted snowstorms have stayed south of us. That said, with the way this early spring season has gone…..who knows?

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I can remember driving up 71 a few years ago and all the boats heading south giving us a thumbs down. Horrible feeling being that close and knowing its a wasted trip.

Exactly why I like to give updates. I haven’t always lived here but have a brother who has and getting real time local updates saved a lot of disappointment for 23 years.

Bass-n-Eyes

According to Rainy Daze Guide Service Facebook page the river opened back up yesterday afternoon and is fishable.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Joel’s first fish yesterdays. 29″

Attachments:
    1. 20180408_163509.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Broke plenty of ice to get to it but thats what boats are for.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice start!

-J.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

No ice whatsoever yesterday or today at Birchdale.

Around 160 boats today just at Birchdale and expect that many or more through Saturday. Frontier and Birchdale are and will be the only 2 accesses open through April 14 west of the Littlefork and Bigfork Rivers.

A few other things to note…

Both Birchdale ramps currently have 10′ of ramp in the water with washouts immediately behind which are deep enough to cause problems for some trailers.

Please don’t park boat trailers in the camping area to the east closest to the ramp. That area is open to camping only, which is no charge and first come first serve.

Outboards have been starting better now that it’s +15-20 degrees in the morning but some still are not spitting water immediately. The drain hole likely has some ice and they usually start pumping in a few minutes. Also the impeller is likely circulating water but just not able to spit water.

A few bunk trailers are still freezing to the hull overnight if they’ve been in the water the day before but they’ll thaw if left in the water a few minutes. If the boat isn’t super heavy it’s possible to get a few guys and lift the bow up to free up the boat.

It will help everybody if, when you park along the east side of the county road from Hwy 11 to the landing, you back your trailer at a slight angle towards the ditch. Approx 110 trucks and trailers will fit end to end on the county road to Hwy 11 but that number could be increased to at least 150 if parked as described above. The key is to get the first few to do that and the rest will hopefully follow.

If you see someone walking in the same directly you’re driving to or from the ramp pay it forward and offer them a ride. You might even get a fishing tip in the process.

Once parking reaches Hwy 11 you can ask at the Nelson store in Birchdale about parking out of the way immediately to the west of the store but again please check at the store first if that’s your choice. There have been a few parking in the church parking lot but the most parking is available around the community building (tan metal building) a block east of the store.

I was advised today that parking is not allowed on Hwy 11 at all.

Lastly I’ll repeat the river is very low. A few props and skegs are getting nicked so be careful unless you wish to support your local skeg and prop repair shop. Some are asking about going up the rapids. I wouldn’t advise that at all unless you have lots and lots of experience through that area.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks for the pointers Uffda! We appreciate it. But you forgot the most important part……. fish! any fish biting????

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Joe, Ya can’t’ catch em’ from the couch!

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Thanks for the pointers Uffda! We appreciate it. But you forgot the most important part……. fish! any fish biting????

Best reports I heard were Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Wednesday was slow for most even though it was the nicest day this spring season. A few boats did a little too good if you know what I mean … $$$

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe, Ya can’t’ catch em’ from the couch!

Actually Denny I’ll have to disagree with ya… I’ve caught 1000’s of fish from my couch! grin

I just have to decide to head north or pull the house out on the ice for a few days again… decisions !

Attachments:
    1. Fun-Times.jpg

Jason Thompson

Would the ramp accommodate a 20ft pontoon and bunk trailer?

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Would the ramp accommodate a 20ft pontoon and bunk trailer?

If you can launch with 10′ of ramp the answer is yes. There are washouts immediately at the end of the concrete probably 5-10″ deep so if your trailer wheels go beyond the ramp there is a possibility of leaf spring hanger getting caught up, depending on the design.

Walleye season ends today so this is more for sturgeon anglers and for future reference when the water levels are low. When launching with a bunk trailer most are backing beyond the ramp. Be aware if you have a bow mount trolling motor that hangs off the front that the trolling motor might hit the bow roller with some force as the boat slides in the water. There have been at least a half dozen this year that have come down hard enough to break some parts on their bow mount motors.

tim hurley

Push the envelope a bit on either end and you have a shot at some amazing fishing-also have a shot at going way up there and its a ‘no go’- I tip my hat to you for trying!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For a fishing report the walleye bite has been good. 100 walleyes for us Wednesday. 79 Thursday, 151 Friday. Plenty of smaller fish to sort through but also plenty of bigger eyes to. If this is a poor spring run on the Rainy river we will take it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.