Conibear trap

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Are you having any problems with your TV now?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

your a natural on camera

That must have been the one where I never faced the camera.

Thanks Twister….

Don Hanson

Nope, he has a real screen presence. It is etched in my mind like this- The Duke, Newman, Eastwood and now “BK”.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

I think I heard of this movie, isn’t is called “The Ring”

CA

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

in for a quick stab…and then gone again.

Remind me next time I see you CA…I have a salad for you.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

My son called me yesterday and I could tell by his voice that there was something seriously wrong. He told me that he went grouse hunting Sunday with his brother-in-law and father-in-law North of Brainerd on public land and his brother-in-laws golden got caught in a conibear trap. He said it was the worst experience he ever had in his life trying to free the struggling dog from the trap. Unfortunately the dog suffocated to death before they could get the trap off. Don’t know if it was a legal set or not my son called the CO and he was going to go out and check the trap and get the trappers info. Before hunting season next year I’m going to go out and buy a conibear trap to make sure I know how to remove it. I found this video and thought it would be good to share.

WCCO had done a video last night on how to release your dog from the body gripping traps.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/11/27/hunting-dog-owners-watch-how-to-release-body-grip-traps/

stealthy
    Elgin, MN

That is why if I ever find a trap I destroy it or take it home and throw in scrap pile. Because the traps shouldn’t be on the land I am finding them.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Uhg – reading stuff like this puts a knot in my stomach, how devastating. A good reminder for us with dogs to be educated on how to release these traps.

I’m headed to South Dakota bird hunting in a few hours, hope to steer-clear of any mishap like that!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How they can make a trap that cannot be readily removed by an adult man is beyond me. This is horible to hear. I think conibears should be redesigned and all old ones outlawed. This is BS!!!!!!!!!

pool5hunter
    South East,Mn

This happened to us a couple months ago, my dads new coon dog jumped out and didn’t get ten feet off the road and hit a conibear. It was on public land and we called the dnr and he said that’s totally fine. They were lucky enough to be close and a couple guys and got him loose. After that we all looked at how to get a dog out of a trap. When everything was done they noticed that there was two traps in the ditch and the second trap had a coon in it, so the dog was doing what he was supose to.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Suzuki,

Very bad deal, but I’m pretty sure any “legal” trap set on dry land can be released by a grown man. Problem is if you’ve never seen one before and your dog is in it, it is not a good time to be figuring out how one works. Like I said, it’s a very bad deal, but remember, that the biggest predators to most of the game we hunt is being trapped by these guys.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Truly a sad situation and I hate to hear of anyone loosing their pet. As one that traps, I take these very serious because it is a case where sportsmen Vs Sportsmen ocures and we fail to continue to work together to improve our sports & Habitat.

Quote:

How they can make a trap that cannot be readily removed by an adult man is beyond me. This is horible to hear. I think conibears should be redesigned and all old ones outlawed. This is BS!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully a bit of over-reacting. Depending on the size of the animal and wich coni, time varies that you have to remove the animal. As a trapper, I strive for the quickest death possible and I use mostly BMI MAGS. The magnum versions have outward formed corners allowing the springs to extend further and the jaws to close tighter. This is definately a case of where arguing for changes would reduce the ethical use of this tool. I can’t speak for your area or group of sportsmen. I host a few events every fall down here for Veterinarians, dog owners, and hunting clubs. I do not engage in any arguements over the use – legal or not, I just try to educate as many people as I can to how easy they are to compress the springs when down right. You have on average about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on a larger dog in a coni 160. So time is critical.

That is why if I ever find a trap I destroy it or take it home and throw in scrap pile. Because the traps shouldn’t be on the land I am finding them. Again, I hope this is a statement out of anger and not reality. In WI, if you did that and got caught, Trap and Animal Theft: Stealing or molesting traps, cable restraints, snares, animals, or the contents of any lawfully placed trap, cable restraint, or snare is a criminal act and is punishable by fine ($300-$1,000), imprisonment (up to 90 days) or both, and a mandatory 5-year revocation of license.
    So, again I hope your not publicly stating an illegal activity that your doing. It’s also individuals that ACTUALLY do this that keep people from flagging trap locations. I trap very little public land and rarely ever come in contact with dog owners. My pet peeve are the bunny and coyote hunters. Beagles & hounds set loose on one property and run fense lines for miles, crossing properties of which they don’t have permission. Then a hound stops to sniff a gland lude and has its paw in a #2 coil spring and some how its my fault and I should be sued?? Still haven’t figured that one out yet?? Somehow we need to maintain a common ground of land use, because WE ALL are privileged to use it. If we fight amongst ourselves, how long do think that privilege will last?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know you guys are trappers but g dammit I’m tired of hearing this. It takes special tools and special training to open the big conibears. The avg guy is not going to be exposed enough to pick this up, me included. Of course I know how important trapping is but I refuse to believe this one situation cannot be resolved by an updated design. Expecting avg joe to remove a conibear from his thrashing dog is unrealistic.

I watched the video and plan to carry some zip ties but I have made up my mind about this trap.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

If I just read the MN laws correctly it is illegal to set any body gripping trap with a jaw opening greater than 7 1/2″ unless it is under water. So that size or smaller can be set on land. Most people that would be out hunting should be able to squeeze these open by hand.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Quote:

That is why if I ever find a trap I destroy it or take it home and throw in scrap pile. Because the traps shouldn’t be on the land I am finding them.

Really?? This was on PUBLIC land. taking or destroying anothers sportsmans trap… real classy. Great example your setting for others…..

stealthy
    Elgin, MN

My above statement about taking the traps is true because they are not being lawfully placed. They are being placed by trespassers There are other people that trap for coon and such near our buildings and I have no problem with those. The ones I have a problem with are the people crossing the fence and setting where they shouldn’t be. Hopefully they will get the point some day so I don’t have to worry about our 5 lb dog getting crushed by a trap.

killerhiller
    Hastings, MN

Traps set on private land without permission are not set by sportsmen. They are poachers and should be treated like the scum they are. Five or six years ago, my dog got caught in a #2 leghold while on private land that doesn’t allow trapping because they allow anyone who asks permission to hunt. I destroyed that trap. Kept the tag. Same piece of @#$% set a snare on the same farm and caught my dog the next week. I know who the guy is and I continued to remove his sets I found on the farm he does not have permission to be on with the blessing of the land owner. Now if the game warden would’ve done something to the guy it would have been nice.

Yes I dont care if someone thinks what I did was bad or wrong. He is a poacher. I did what the landowner requested. And I ended up with a dog who didn’t want to run through sloughs and water ways.
    BTW I ran a trapline when I was a kid in high school.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

It is terrible to lose a dog but your friend just helped the Anti’s get one step closer to their ultimate goal.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

If the Anti’s you are talking about is the anti trapping crowd I would only say that the so called trapper that set a conibear trap baited with a chicken leg only a few yards from a public walking trail does a lot more to fuel the flames of the anti’s than a family and their dogs out for a late season grouse hunt on public land.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.