Kennel doors

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I am trying to update my kennel for the new pup. I have used the rubber “double swing” (see below) doors in the past and have not been overly impressed. My last dog was not easy on them, and I could not get them to hold up, and I did not like them in the winter from a weather standpoint.

I have tried the google and can either find a expensive guillotine style or the rubber flap. Any better options out there?

For the record, I have a small kennel in the garage that remains heated for the dogs in the winter, and a 12″x25′ run they can go to when we are not there. I have no problem paying a little more for a door if I felt it would hold up, but I am not throwing another $65 into another flap door.

Thanks

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have the same set up but my kennel in my garage is not heated but insulated. I have had 3 pups go through and use this door and have not had one issue. My dog was easy but I dog sat a dog for 6 months and she ripped apart everything including the house but not this door.

GUN DOG DOOR HEAVY DUTY CLICK HERE

I think they claim it is indestructible and they come with a life of the dog warranty including chewing! Mine is still like new 11 years later! Good Luck with the Pup!

Quote:

The Gun Dog House Door® can be used in almost any situation, but the door is primarily designed for non-residential use. Some customers will use this door for garages, out-buildings, dog houses, or anywhere an indestructible dog door is required.

These doors are some of the most rugged, heavy duty, and long lasting dog doors.

Made with heavy duty aluminum welded framing, these doors are Black Lab tested, they are chew proof and indestructible!

These doors are made for use and abuse!

chew-proof, indestructible: Black Labrador tested for more than 20 years.

heavy-duty spring-loaded flap: Makes for most weather-proof kennel type door

frame: 3/16″ heavy duty welded aluminum

door: 1/4″ clear Plexiglas®

hinges: 2 pair extra strong hinges

design allows for any size dog to use: Even puppies can use the friendly door

available in 3 models: Optional closing panels available

warranty: Gun Dog House Door warrants these doors to be free of defects for the life of your dog (Includes Chewing)

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I had seen that door as well and had concerns with how it held up. Good to know they hold up well. How do you think it does for weather and cold?

I was looking for something like this, only made of a thicker plastic, as well as a manufactured “wrap” for the stud cavity to help keep things clean. My door is on a windy side of the house, and on those cold windy days, I ended up with a pile of snow in front of the door.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I guess I’m not sure what your asking, but I have mine on the north side of the garage. Does it completely seal out drafts? Not quite but that is because of my siding. It does a pretty good job but I could have installed it a lil better with a trim around the outside and it would be better. I have never gotten snow inside of the door that I noticed.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks Rob. I wanted to make sure I was not blowing 90% of my heat right out the door. I felt the last few I had were horrible at this.

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

The gun dog door is what I have too. (Or something very similar) It takes a little bit for the dog to get used to pushing it open, the springs are pretty stiff, but it seals up real tight to the frame if you follow the directions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.