What do you feed your dog?

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Hmm. The portion I saw of Scott had him pull the tip up with one hand and, upon grabbing the line, immediately pulling up to set the hook. No cut in the video feed. I just thought maybe he was using a different setup underneath the ice.

Will have to see if Scott chimes in here.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

What kind of dog food is the best choice now days? I have a puppy coming in a couple of weeks and I am thinking about the Native brand food. Has anyone used that or what is best?

My last dog I used Diamond brand dog foods but I am looking to try something else?

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I fed my chocolate lab Diamond for about 6 years and then I switched to Iam’s and am very happy. The Iam’s is a meat based product and I immediately noticed that my dod had less waste(poop) and a healthier look. I liked Diamond and thought it did a ok job, but I saw what a high quality dog food does to “mans best friend” first hand. I am not sure on the Native brand, who is that made by?

Good Luck with the new pup!

What breed are you getting?

690reece

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

We feed ours Canidae. Lot better than the cheap Purina that we had been feeding her.

Check out Dog Food Analysis to get reviews and ratings on many different brands and types of food. They are rated on a scale of 1-6 stars, with 6 stars being the best. That’s were we learned about Canidae, and have been very happy with it. We feed less food, and if we buy it in the 44lb bag, we actually save money per meal over using the Purina like we had been.

Don Hanson

I use Pro Plan. Its going to depend on the activity levl of your dog. Check to see what your vet recommends and go from there. The biggest downfall I see is the junk food dogs get. Be carefull and only feed healthy treats.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Royal Canin. It was suggested to us by our breeder with great results.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

We are getting a Lab! We go to pick her out tomorrow.

Native is made by Kent Foods and was reccomended by a number of people I know

Kent Foods

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Purina Dog Chow and Purina One.

john_steinhauer
    p4

i use nuitria source proformance blend

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I feed mine Diamond Performance. I’ve also used the maintenace and extreme athlete.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m feeding the little girl NutriSource just because that’s what the breeder was feeding and I was told a change in diet is not good.

I noticed it was priced reasonably (I think) and it’s a Minnesota company.

Is $30 for a 30 pound bag about the same cost as other brands?

Sully

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i feed NutriSource Performance blend year round.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The NutriSource stuff looks pretty good. Our dog had alot of issues with food (and gas!!) on many different foods, we finally found one she is doing well on, which is Nutro Holistic or something like that. Trouble is, it is $50 a bag!!!

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

I’ve feed Innova, Canidae and currently on Eagle Pack after Canidae changed manufactures last year.

perch_44

Quote:

The NutriSource stuff looks pretty good. Our dog had alot of issues with food (and gas!!) on many different foods, we finally found one she is doing well on, which is Nutro Holistic or something like that. Trouble is, it is $50 a bag!!!

i don’t know how often you go through food. my dog usually goes through one bag a month, so, for a $50 bag of food, you would be looking at $1.66 a day.

if you cannot justify spending $1.66 a day on your dog, especially with what a hunting dog does for you, how is that fair to him?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

i don’t know how often you go through food. my dog usually goes through one bag a month, so, for a $50 bag of food, you would be looking at $1.66 a day.

if you cannot justify spending $1.66 a day on your dog, especially with what a hunting dog does for you, how is that fair to him?

I just cleaned up my response considerably. Let’s just say your statement is not supported by anyone I have ever known. My opinion of dog food differs greatly from yours. Gee, I wonder how all those great hunting dogs of yesteryear could have possibly done so well and died a ripe old age without expensive dog food? hmmmmmmm

What do you know about being fair to a dog?

My dog is healthy, happy and a dam fine hunting companion. She goes as long as I could ever expect her to go. She’s a saint around the house and the apple of my eye. And I feed her PDC. Apparently the mfg’s of premium dog food also make koolaid because you have obviously drank plenty of it.

perch_44

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just cleaned up my response considerably. Let’s just say your statement is not supported by anyone I have ever known. My opinion of dog food differs greatly from yours. Gee, I wonder how all those great hunting dogs of yesterday could have possibly hunted so well and died a ripe old age without expensive dog food? hmmmmmmm

yes, and athletes back in the old days didn’t have the nutrition and medicine technologies that we do today. that hunting dog of yours is an athlete, and is burning tons of energy and calories every time in the field, so the least we can do, is provide them with a food that keeps them in top form.

would you be willing to feed your kids ramen every day of the week, just because its cheap? (and that being if you could afford better food) i doubt you would, so, why give your dog crap food? i mean, is $1.66 really too much a day to give your dog.???

perch_44

Personal attacks are not allowed on IDO. Please let’s keep this informative post on track.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Personal attacks are not allowed on IDO. Please let’s keep this informative post on track.

perch_44

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seems kinda warm in here…… When I had my labs, I was told by a vet, get them food with at least 30% protein. I did and it really cut down on the poo poo He also said, dogs are not vegetarians… corn is just a filler. I did pay alot more for the higher protein, lamb formula, but fed them 1/2 as much, so it worked out about the same. Just my .02

TonyPagliai1
    Iowa City, IA 52245

The thing that I go by is the first ingredient since that is the main one, or largest percentage (you get the idea). If the first ingredient is corn I keep looking for something that a protien (like chicken for the food that I use) first on the list. I do also compare the break down of everything. Like Big G I also feed a lot less depending on how much work the dogs are doing. I am always watching their weight to make they are not too fat or skinny.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yeah, he said if it says corn.. move on. My dogs turds went from big tan bratwursts, to little black sizzlers, when I changed the food from corn to lamb

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

Quote:

Yeah, he said if it says corn.. move on. My dogs turds went from big tan bratwursts, to little black sizzlers, when I changed the food from corn to lamb

sizzlers… G, sometimes you crack me up!

i agree with you tho, pay attention to the amount of filler in the food you buy. some more affordable brands take as much as 2 or 3 times the amount of food as high end brands to deliver the amount of nutrients that you need to give your puppy daily.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

What don’t you get? I AM spending $50 a bag on the dog food. BUT if I could get a comparable food (which NutriSource seems to be) that works as well for less, what would that hurt?

isubass

My dog hasn’t been eating his Diamond Naturals and seems to be sick of it so I went looking for something else. I just found “Taste of the Wild” dog food today at a local store and am going to try it. Anyone heard of it? Seems like a quality food with good ingredients and a variety of flavors…goes for $42.99 for a 40# bag.

tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

I feed my lab Taste of the Wild, He has been on it for 9 months now. He was on NutriSource but had alot of shedding and itching, coat also had lots of dandruf. The lab can also clear a room with his gas.

We moved to Taste of the wild because of the no grains, and his coat is shiny no more itching and shedding is very managable.

Have a friend who just bought a German Wirehair puppy and has been feeding it the TOTW and loving it.

FYI, you can switch between the 3 flavors of TOTW and not have to go through the change process.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.