Question for you guys

• vinnydelpino
    Up Nort

My dog snapped at my 2 yr old, should I take him out behind the barn? He is a collie/lab mix, but he is smart as heck, hate to put him down but I am afraid I have no choice. I was just wondering your thoughts. Thanks fellas.

fireman1217
    Eagan, MN

Man…tough call. I’d say…if you’ve had the dog for a while and this is the first time, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, would hate to see your 2 year old get bit….If it would even partially appear it’s going to do it again, it’s time for a stroll out behind the barn. Just my 2 cents….

Hate to have to make that decision…..

PowerFred

My brother was in your shoes a few years back with a German Shepard that he raised from birth. He loved that dog like his own kid, but when the dog snapped at his son, the dog was gone. He said it was a really tough thing to do, but his child’s safety was too important to take a chance.

I don’t envy your decision.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive had three dogs around my kids and them growing up. This is what I would do. Watch him and the moment he even snarls or gives a bad look make him believe he shouldn’t have right then, don’t wait. If you do that then watch him close, he will notice you watching him. If he tries to do it again then its time to put some room between the baby and the dog, I wouldn’t get rid of it though, maybe make a pen behind the house or the garage.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Yeah you dang right it is a hard call. I had a Beagle/springer awhile ago and it was the most mild mannered, lick anyone to death dog! One day my son was between my legs standing and the dog came up beside me and all of the sudden he showed his teeth and started growling. Out of pure reaction the dog did about 2 flips before it hit the wall. Not that it was the right thing to do but it was a snap solution to the problem. needless to say that dog never showed his teeth to my son ever again and I am soooo glad I didn’t get rid of him! I read somewhere once that when a dog and child are at the same eye level that it sometimes feels threatened. I guess it is if you feel the dog would actually follow throught with it(aggressive dog), if so I say yes get rid of the dog. If you decide to keep the dog, maybe getting your son more acclimated to the dog(playing fetch,feeding,petting) would help their relationship, and maybe the dog won’t feel your son as a threat. I’m no dog expert but once it happened with my dog, he knew he crossed the line and as my son grew older never once did it happen again. Do you think your dog is possible of doing it?

nichelre

I would keep a very close eye on that dog, don’t give him the opportunity to get a nip in. But allow the two to be together in a controlled enviroment. If he shows aggression it’s time to do something. Maybe give him to someone without young children. I had the worlds best lab for 12 years he was agressive to some other dogs but never to a human, I always said that if he threatened a kid he was going away. Thank God I never had to make that decision, once they attack you can’t take it back. My son was at the inlaws and was bitten by a neighbor dog ( a lab that the owners were afraid of). Luckily it didn’t bite his face he was 5 at the time and still loves dogs. The authorities took care of that dog before I got to it.

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

This is a tough situation; thankfully the dog just snapped and didn’t bite. The first thing I would do is never let the dog be alone with your son. I would bring the two together slowly and watch for any sign of aggression. If there is another incident the dog has to go. i would look for a situation where it could be placed in a environment that would be safe for all. No kids! If the dog bit the child I would put the dog down immiediately. I know this is a tough call; I had an english setter that bit my dasughter; a small child has no way of defending itself. It is the job of the parent. Good luck, I hope this turns out positively for your family.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I would never give him a second chance .I might see if someone wanted him but i wouldnt let him around the kid agin , things can just happen to quick.

vinnydelpino
    Up Nort

Thanks for all the replies guys, but I had to do the hardest thing I have had to do, the dog showed his teeth so I put him down. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and then knowing I had to face the family after the gun blast. We have tried to cope as a family but I think last nights surprise helped a ton. Thanks for all the replies to help me through fellas.

timmy

You did the right thing. Tough, no doubt, but right. The possible outcome if the dog bit a child on the face is just not worth it.

That new hound in the pic looks mean too! Keep a close eye on him!

Nice pooch….Tim

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wow, real tough!

Looks like the new suprise will help ease it somewhat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.