German shorthair pointer

• bharo15
    Blaine, MN

I might be looking into getting a dog in the future. does anyone have any recommendations on this breed of dog. also any kennels/breeders to look at? it will most likely be used for grouse, pheasant and friend.

Hey Hoss, check out Blaine Kennels right there in Blaine We got our shorthair there 12 years ago, and this is where the mother was kept. The Sire came from the Horse and Hunt Club, and had some excellent bloodlines. Both these places might be good places to start.

Also, Holzinger kennels, which is stationed at the Horse and Hunt club does a great job of training dogs.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

You should check out the free shorthair sir! I have a female GSP (Daisy) who is a great dog with a mediocre owner. They can be a bit on the hyper side; but they are a hoot to hunt with. And she is really good with the kids and tolerates all sorts of their abuse. I think you’ll like GSP’s or whatever you decide to get! Good luck!

dd

I was just going to add that GSPs tend to be better pheasant dogs than grouse. I’m not an expert; but I believe that they tend to crowd grouse a bit more than the grouse like. Or something like that. First rate pheasant dogs for sure!

birddog
    Mn.

I wouldn’t trade my kids for the world!! Excellent bird dogs, great with kids, good in the house. My buddies!!

BIRDDOG

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

I would look into Bob Merkel @ Wrenegade Kennel in Jesup IA. He has a great line of hunting Shrthairs. I am including a picture of my Shorthair I got from Wrenegade Kennels, and a picture of a pup from my girl bred to Bob’s Wrenegade Full of Gusto.

ken67

go gold….. golden retriever

vickieschessies
    Jacobson MN

How about

Ball Bluff Kennels in northern MN.

In fact I have a litter of pups currently with 2 females and 4 males 4 sale Pups were born 1-13-08 for more info e-mail me or call 218-752-6687

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

I have 2 Shorthair pups that were whelped on 12/10/08. 1 male and 1 female; both are liver & white ticked. The breeding is Wrenegade/Dixieland, these will be fun dogs to hunt behind. Sire is Wrenegades Full of Gusto; Dam BigSprings Wrenegade Ruth. AKC reg. Male $300.00 and Female $400.00. PM for more info.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve heard of Bob Merkel and his dogs. Corey down the street bought two shorthairs and if I remember right they were immediate decendants of the shorthairs they used in the Budweiser commercials about 7 years ago and came from Him. Both of Coreys dogs are very good hunters, top notch dogs. They were pricey and out of my money range but dynamite dogs.

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

When I got my dog from Bob I asked him for 2 things. I wanted a dog that would love to hunt, but more importantly would be a great part of the family. I let him pick the pup, and he delivered what I was looking for. When we bred Ruth this fall we did the same; we deferred to Bob on picking the Sire that Ruth would be bred with. The goal was to achieve the same traits that I wanted for my own personal hunting dog. I would like to thank Bob for all the help and advise that he has provided over the past 15 years. I especially want to thank Bob for taking my son around and explaining what he looked for in dogs, and then spending an hour with him and going over every dog in his kennel.

timmy

Starting the search for a new pup – and am wondering what Bob gets for one of his GSP pups?

Tim

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

When I bought mine 5 years ago it was $500.00. The stud fee for Gus was $600.00 dollars. This is an assumption; the price for a pup is close to the stud fee.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Not sure but give him a call, its worth it im sure. What Ive found out about dogs if your buying from a breeder make sure thier not too hyper, some are so hyper and high strung it gets in the way when in the field. Heres my rule of thumb when selecting a dog, Ability of the dogs ancestors and how much your going to hunt it. Papered bloodlines, it dosen’t matter too me if they have all the papers that can be attained, just that they have one registered line. Third is price, quality comes befor price if I can save for the dog I want.

My first brittnay I payed $25 for him and he hunted his heart out. He came from a registered line of britts but the owner never bothered to register the male, that didn’t bother me because at that time all I wanted was a hunting dog. My second brit was Sara and she was AKC, UKC and American field stud registered, her pedigree was better then mine but by far Zach that I had paid $25 for was the best dog because I hunted him all the time and Sara just didn’t have the ability or the drive to hunt hard like Zach did. Its not always the price of the dog and a good breeder is always a good choice especially if your going to be selling the pups to make money.

vickieschessies
    Jacobson MN

This is Lehman’s Von Wreck-N-Shitz she is out of the Shooting Starr Line. I have 2 females out of this line and they are awesome and have been real easy to train. Male is out of the Dixieland Rusty line

mkaveney

Phil & Anne Mathiowetz from Windwalker Kennels would be another good place to look. Looks like they’ll have a couple litters coming in April 2008. Here’s their site – http://windwalkerkennel.com

The_Bladepuller
    South end

PM sent.
    I think a good bred GSP is the easiest dog for a beginner to train. Shoot only pointed birds and they damn near staunch them selve up; they just seem to have so much “hunt & point”. The whiter dogs were my favs. seemed to keep their head up & take more body & less ground scent.. ala pointers & setters. I have trained and handled many breeds and if I was looking for primarily a grouse dog I’d look to a pointer or setter out of that breeding. They are generally lighter on their feet in the woods and take more body scent & thus don’t trail in on a grouse & bump it. They are generally rangier but man, a hot fiery pointer is someting. They can be soooo focused.

kurtkid
    South metro

Hoss, I just got back from Sharpshooters Kennel owned by Cylde and Marlyn Vetter. http://www.sharpshooters kennel.com They have some of the country’s best bred pups on the ground. I’ll be getting one of their dogs. Clydes record speaks for itself.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.