Dogs working together

• spence
    southern mn

just wondering if anyone has good tips on dogs working with other dogs in the field. my lab is going on 4, has started doing an awesome job when by herself. while hunting with other dogs, she likes to play while roaming the area, like chasing other dogs, etc. i thought about letting the dogs run together at home before the hunt, but that doesn’t always work. any ideas that have worked would be appreciated.

Don Hanson

If this is new to her, a couple of trips out and she should be back to business.
    If it persists, I would go back and do some bird training with her solo and then with another dog.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

When, Rufus my boy was a pup we got many training sessions in with one or two other dogs. We made the other dog(s) watch and honor retrieves, something that needs to be brushed up on with Rufus, although I did call him off a few retrieves this weekend becasue they were not his bird to get.

As far as them not hunting the same solo vs other dogs around, mine still does this now. He does hunt a little differently as he gets curious as to “what is going on over there”. Sometimes he hunts better alone, somedays he hunts better with other dogs. I try to get him a dose of both alone and working with others.

It is funny to see his reaction when Slider (Ron) and Starr pull into my driveway. He knows what is going to happen when he sees Slider and goes NUTS. Him and Starr have worked quite well together except for one day incident where Rufus wanted the bird Starr pointed and retrieved and decided he wanted the bird as he clamped down on the bird as Slider had it in his hands and Rufus kindly brought it over to me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im on year 4 and cant break my dog of this. Great alone and with one other dog but several people with several dogs, no way. She is just to submissive/social. I just have to work around that fault and avoid hunting in groups.

spence
    southern mn

that’s exactly how it is with my lab. i don’t mind hunting alone but i would like to hunt with groups at times, and it’s frustrating when the dog doesn’t work how they know to work.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This weekend just me and one friend went. It really seemed like her attention was on the person and not the dog. She wanted to go back and forth between my friend and I which was a big problem when we were spread out or executing a pinch. It takes her mind off her job. I dont see this as something I’m gong to break. More hunting alone I guess.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Mike, My 2 cents after hunting with you and Goose this weekend is that 90% of the time, you want to have the dog range between 2 guys. On pinches etc, where she can see or hear the other hunter, I truly think the e-collar needs to come into play a bit until she recognizes the difference between when she should and when she shouldn’t head for the other guy.
    She’s really a busy dog though. I was real impressed with how active she was and how good she worked when we were together or when you were alone. Definitely not one to follow you through the brush which in itself is a victory.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. I got lazy on this trip because of the cold and didnt hook her up to the juice like I should have. As you know I got lazy the second day and didnt put on her vest and of course hit the motherload of burs.
    I’m glad season is over. My poor dog doesnt have much hair left to cut burs out of!!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

No kidding! She’s the 1st Golden Shorthair I’ve ever seen!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.