How to protect the dog?

• neverhome
    Anoka county

I have been getting out a lot hunting roosters with my pup and yes he gets beat up pretty bad around the eyes and nose. Well, last night when my wife got home she told me I need to rest him a few days (ya right). Anyways, today his eyes were crusted shut and he could not open them and they were still bleeding. His nose is raw also. I know this happens to all dogs that get into the thick grass. I did take him to the vet because my wife said I had to. I found he has four cuts on his eye and was given some drops to help cure. The vet cleaned him up and he looks better.

How do you guys protect the dogs eyes and nose if you do at all? I know he don’t mind to much and im sure he is ready to hunt right now. Any suggestions would be great.

This is a photo after we got home from the vet. I think he looks fine and is ready to hunt!

Thanks

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

One of the hardest things to do when hunting, is to not hunt. A raw nose is quite different then lacerations of the eye. Unfortunatly sometimes we need to rest our dogs. I’m sure you will agree this doesn’t make you or the dog happy.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

After a days hunt flush your dog eyes with saline solution and then again right before bedtime, that should help the eyes alot works well for me. Put some vasoline on spots that are prone to rawnest before hunt and then again after. That should help alot!!!!!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I ordered some stuff called “mushers putty” Its ment for sled dogs feet and works great to protect hunting dogs nose and feet once they get raw..Ive got a Springer Spaniel and it looks like she got shot sometimes from the blood comin from her nose area..This is a heavy gel type stuff you put on and helps quite a bit..also protects from infection….Jay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.