Training Question

• snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Does any one have any good tips on training your dog to go to the bathroom in the woods instead of on the lawn. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Don Hanson

If the dog is kenneled at night, take it for a walk in the woods when you first let it out in the morning. The dog will soon get into the routine of going on a outing each morning. Other than a quick pee, his focus will be going on those walks. More than likely he will wait and take care of business once he gets in the woods. Repeat this in the late afternoon and the results should be the same.

Don Hanson

If the dog is kenneled at night, take it for a walk in the woods when you first let it out in the morning. The dog will soon get into the routine of going on a outing each morning. Other than a quick pee, his focus will be going on those walks. More than likely he will wait and take care of business once he gets in the woods. Repeat this in the late afternoon and the results should be the same.

Renedy
    Hampton, MN

One of the fastest ways to get a dog to do anything is thru the use of overlaying a noise or command when the behavior that is wanted is being done.

I know a couple people who have trained their dogs to respond to “clickers” when they want the dog to do their stuff.

I don’t use the method personally, but the results of clicker training were cool to see when we were traveling.

Dogs got out of the car, they hit the clicker, dogs were done and we were on the road in less than a total of 5 minutes.

In order to clicker train all you really need is the clicker, take you’re dog to the spot, wait till they decide to start their stuff, as soon as they do – hit the clicker – or give whatever ever command you want to use.

This is no different than the famous Pavlov’s dog trick – getting the dog to drool when you hit the dinner bell, except you are looking for action from the opposite end.

Renedy
    Hampton, MN

One of the fastest ways to get a dog to do anything is thru the use of overlaying a noise or command when the behavior that is wanted is being done.

I know a couple people who have trained their dogs to respond to “clickers” when they want the dog to do their stuff.

I don’t use the method personally, but the results of clicker training were cool to see when we were traveling.

Dogs got out of the car, they hit the clicker, dogs were done and we were on the road in less than a total of 5 minutes.

In order to clicker train all you really need is the clicker, take you’re dog to the spot, wait till they decide to start their stuff, as soon as they do – hit the clicker – or give whatever ever command you want to use.

This is no different than the famous Pavlov’s dog trick – getting the dog to drool when you hit the dinner bell, except you are looking for action from the opposite end.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I agree with Don’s idea of going straight to the designated area from the kennel. If the dog is small enough, I would suggest carrying it to the desired spot. This will not allow them to go on the way. I usually start this when the pup is young, so carrying them is not an issue. It is always funny to see dogs I trained 5 years ago that still can’t go #2 without finding tall grass or atleast a tree or bush.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I agree with Don’s idea of going straight to the designated area from the kennel. If the dog is small enough, I would suggest carrying it to the desired spot. This will not allow them to go on the way. I usually start this when the pup is young, so carrying them is not an issue. It is always funny to see dogs I trained 5 years ago that still can’t go #2 without finding tall grass or atleast a tree or bush.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

OK Thank you very much!!!!!!! This will help very much.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

OK Thank you very much!!!!!!! This will help very much.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.