Dog in Porcupine

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heard about for years but it finally happened to me. My dog sniffed a porky while grouse hunting. My blind partner yells at me to call my dog becasue it was attacking a rabbit? We were in very tight cover so I didnt see anything until by dog runs to me with what looked like a white beard. I knew right away. I have never dealt with it before but I obviously lucked out. Between 12 and 20 quills on front of face and nose. Pulled with pliars right away and she was fine. I then put the dog in the truck for a bit and had my friend show me the “rabbit”…….
    Now I only have my first skunk to wait for.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Did he look something like this? Im not sure whos dog this is but I feel bad for the poor thing.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Did he look something like this? Im not sure whos dog this is but I feel bad for the poor thing.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Watch the inside of her mouth. The quill has a cockscrew like end. In a few days the ones you did not get all the way out will be coming through the roof of her mouth. You were lucky. The last one I witnessed was around 100. It was a fiesty german shorthair and wanted to bite and bite and bite. There was 50+ in his mouth alone.
    Just keep a eye on her mouth for the next week. If you see them coming through just pull them out. They come easier going with the cockscrew.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Watch the inside of her mouth. The quill has a cockscrew like end. In a few days the ones you did not get all the way out will be coming through the roof of her mouth. You were lucky. The last one I witnessed was around 100. It was a fiesty german shorthair and wanted to bite and bite and bite. There was 50+ in his mouth alone.
    Just keep a eye on her mouth for the next week. If you see them coming through just pull them out. They come easier going with the cockscrew.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. Appreciate it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. Appreciate it.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Hey an easy and less pain full way for the dog is to take the quils out is to cut the ends of the quil off, it shrinks the barb of the other end and they pull out really nicely. we did it on our dog and it worked awsome.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Hey an easy and less pain full way for the dog is to take the quils out is to cut the ends of the quil off, it shrinks the barb of the other end and they pull out really nicely. we did it on our dog and it worked awsome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.