Gun Shy Dog

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Please list the trainers that you know that use firecrackers and gun ranges to cure a gun shy dog so I can make sure to never use them for any kind of training. If your child was afraid of snakes, would you throw him in a shed with 200 snakes and lock the door? I just don’t understand the logic of forcing the thing that the dog is afraid of onto them…doesn’t is make more sense to introduce small amounts of noise in association with something the dog finds enjoyable? To each there own, I just see a lot more degree of risk in the firecracker/gun range method. Good luck with your dog which ever method you choose.

iceangler,
    I am not sure if your last reply is to me or someone else if it was to me I would like to make a few things very clear.

First I never said anything about firecrackers that was someone else.

No where did I say anything about this was recommended by any trainer, I also said “My dog was never gun shy but I can see where this might not work for a gun shy dog.”

No where did I say anything about forcing anything on my dog I let her tell me what she will accept and not accept by reading her body language.

When you said….

Quote:

doesn’t is make more sense to introduce small amounts of noise in association with something the dog finds enjoyable?

that is exactly what I did she loves to go on walks and we started out slow as I said the first week we sat across the road from the range. The other thing that I forgot to mention was I also brought her retrieving dummy for her to fetch as we would go along on our walk which she also loves to do.

I do not claim to be an expert and I do not claim that this will work for every dog just posting what worked for me.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ice I guess you were talking to me.It would be irresponsible of me to use the name of the trainer I metioned as he does not officialy endorse me but if you know retriever trials and notice the address on my signature you should be able to figure it out. from your discription of the method I,m pretty sure I have done a poor job of explaining it to you but to avoid flogging a dead horse {or dog} I will leave it there and wish you good luck with your training as well.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ice I guess you were talking to me.It would be irresponsible of me to use the name of the trainer I metioned as he does not officialy endorse me but if you know retriever trials and notice the address on my signature you should be able to figure it out. from your discription of the method I,m pretty sure I have done a poor job of explaining it to you but to avoid flogging a dead horse {or dog} I will leave it there and wish you good luck with your training as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.