Dog Days West End

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Leaving for White Eagle Resort on Saturday. Fished Vermilion for over 40 years, but never spent time breaking down the west end. Should my plan to target 10-25′ humps and maybe some points and deeper shorelines at night work or is there something else to add? I was going to bring crawlers and leeches. Its a family trip, so just trying to squeeze in a few hours in the morning and evening for fishing. I might bring bottom bouncers and spinners but was going to leave the lead core rods and home unless someone suggests otherwise (are there some long sand flats to target out there?).

Hoping to drive over to the VC for some Poor Garys pizza. Any decent food options on the west end to go to by boat?

Thank you!

Ripjiggen

Not sure about that side of lake but when I was up last week talking with some guides lead core is all they were talking about.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dave, that is the resort I was telling you about. When we stayed there in mid Sept I found fish on those mid like humps. Pulling spinner/crawlers on bottom bouncers. Smallies right off the docks. Nice place. Good Luck up there!

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Not sure about that side of lake but when I was up last week talking with some guides lead core is all they were talking about.

Funny, i see your name and was planning on ripjiggin while kids have some bobbers out

Ripjiggen

That is probably what I would do to as I find lead core trolling for small eyes to be extremely boring.

Just know the guides were talking about the lead core bite heating up. I was solo so I wasn’t about to drive around with 1 rod.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Don’t be afraid to look shallow, especially when cloudy or windy.
    I was up on Kabetogama last week and did really well in 7-10ft on weedlines. Slip bobbers and trolling spinners both produced keepers and big fish.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t be afraid to look shallow, especially when cloudy or windy.
    I was up on Kabetogama last week and did really well in 7-10ft on weedlines. Slip bobbers and trolling spinners both produced keepers and big fish.

I don’t do deep water on vermillion. There is quality fish to be caught shallow all summer. Not much is more boring then lead core or trying to troll deep water.

BrianF

We’re talking walleyes, right? My advice is to bring live bait. I stubbornly refuse to use it and have been getting ‘it’ handed to me consistently; so much so that I’m chasing muskies more these days. Atleast with muskies, a skunk can be justifiable.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I plan to have leeches and crawlers

Looking at a couple humps/reefs north and north east of Taylors Island to start.

carver
    West Metro

Dave sent you a message with my number. I’ll give you some pointers on where to start and where they’re biting.

Lots a crawlers right now…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.