Does the GPS Receiver and Heading Sensor help with SpotLock?

• muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Just wondering if the GPS Receiver and Heading Sensor helps the Spotlock stay closer to the spot lock location. Was out last night and got pushed around a bit by the wind while my buddy on his boat was pretty much staying in exactly the same spot. I have do not have the newest Terrova

sorgy

yes the Newest Bluetooth versions of the Terrova and Ulterra use the heading sensor- but the way the motors process the signals for spot lock is also improved.
    I have the New version of the Terrova and my biggest problem is the trolling motor head wrapping the cord around itself. It seems to catch itself on the lift assist.

Good Luck

Steve

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My new Terrova is a great improvement over the old one to. The boat still wonders a little while spot locked but nothing as bad as it used to. On the new Terrova there is a scale setting that can be adjusted. This setting is to adjust the motor to different size boats. To high of a scale setting on a lighter weight boat seems to cause the motor to over power itself while trying to make corrections on spot lock. Not sure if the older units had that adjustment available.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Thanks guys. Glad to hear the new Terrova’s are better.

Mine does not have bluetooth so will have to live with it. Looking to upgrade the boat in a year or two so will upgrade the trolling motor at that point.

marineman

The heading sensor that comes with the new bluetooth trolling motors is a heading sensor only; it has no bearing on the accuracy of spotlock.

It’s primary use is to enable the jog functionality allowing you to adjust spotlock position forward / back / left / right from where the current spot lock location is.

As a side benefit; if you network your trolling motor to your locator with ilink, when your trolling motor is powered up the heading sensor will double as a heading sensor for the GPS screens on the locator making your slow speed navigation more accurate; similar to the AS GPS HS puck.

Ross Gunderson

Any clue how a guy checks the boat size setting? I have a 2019 ulterra.

CBMN
    North Metro

Not sure if you have an I-link motor or not but regardless it is an item in the settings menu. I have attached a screenshot of the I link instructions. I end up using -1 with a 55 lb terrova on my small 16 Lund river boat and it reduced the pendulum affect I would get using spotlock.

Attachments:
    1. 1A11BA25-DBFF-445E-952C-5036C4DF2DDD.png

Ross Gunderson

Thank you. I have the ulterra 80lb linked on a trophy 185. Will have to play with it. Think -1 will also be good?

CBMN
    North Metro

Not really sure on that rig/setting. I have a 2013 1775 Pro V with a terrova but it is a pre Bluetooth model so I don’t have the boat scale adjustment. I would just start with 0 and try -1 or +1 for a bit and see what seems to work better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.