Does anyone have a sleep number bed?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Been dreading replacing our mattress. Thinking about a sleep number… went in the other day. My hesitation is that after 60 seconds of laying on the bed they said my ‘congratulations your sleep number is 35’. Seems like I would need a few nights or maybe even weeks to get the sleep number dialed in. I can never tell anything in the store… they all feel comfortable for the 5 minutes you lay on one.

Wondering if others like them?

TimberCrappie
    Eden Prairie, MN

biggill had a great thread on this one a few years ago: Thread

Hopefully he chimes in here and to let us know which mattress he went with as I am also interested in the purple mattress he was looking at.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Billy and I bought our Sleep Number bed years ago during Black Friday and we like it. The most likeable thing about it is that you can adjust the softness and support as you need it. Sleep Number beds range from 0-100 with 0 being the softest and 100 being the firmest. I’ve read that the most common Sleep Number is somewhere between 30-40. That seems really low to me. Normally, I’m at 95 but there have been times I’ve gone as low as 80 when I’ve been sick or sore from an injury. I can’t imagine sleeping on a bed that’s in the 30-40 range. I don’t want to feel like I’m sleeping “in” the bed, I want to be “on” the bed.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We have two and love them however once in a great while one of us will have that sore lower bed back in the morning. I think that’s possible with any bed and is probably due to something other than the bed.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

we are on our 3th one now in 15yrs
    we just keep upgrading. love them all but the newest model with
    the head and foot adjustment is the best.
    if you have had a hard day use the zero gravity setting
    and you wake up with no aches and pains the next day.
    I will never buy any other bed

shady5

We just bought our second and really like it. It raises up, etc., but I almost crapped when it rang up at $9k.

Deleted

No sleep number here. We went with the $699 sleep innovations memory foam king mattress from Costco or sams? We loved the first one so much that we got a second for our place and my. Either in law bought one too. We could even use our existing box spring and have a 20 yr warranty. I’m no dainty feller and this one ain’t sagging yet.

walley wanna be

We have had a SAATVA since the first of November. The best mattress we’ve had in our 52 years together!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I owned my sleep number for about 15 years. For the most part it was a very good bed. It’s nice to change your firmness whenever you want but that would happen maybe twice a year and that dwindled to about once every other year. Very rarely used.

I absolutely hated the canyon that existed in between the air chambers. I’d always find myself sleeping in that canyon and waking up in horrible pain because of it. I can only hope they truly fixed that major flaw.

The only other flaw is the price.

I ended up with a purple 3. I’m about 70% satisfied and my wife is about 30% satisfied. It was supposed to be a good mattress for back and side sleepers but I am only comfortable on my back. My wife only sleeps on her side and has trouble getting comfortable. It has the feel of being firm even though you sink into it. A different feeling for sure.

We found a hybrid mattress at the sleep Sherpa that I really wish we would’ve went with. It was about 1/2 the price and seemed to be a good fit for us. I went with the purple because it was different and I expected it to be a good fit for side and back sleeping.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m at 95 but there have been times I’ve gone as low as 80 when I’ve been sick or sore from an injury.

Jeez Sharon, 95? That’s like sleeping on a board

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>
    I’m at 95 but there have been times I’ve gone as low as 80 when I’ve been sick or sore from an injury.

Jeez Sharon, 95? That’s like sleeping on a board

Yep kinda. I rarely find people who like such a high sleep number. I slept in a wooden rocking chair once, so it’s way more comfortable than that.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Did you not return it? it has a 100 sleep guarantee

I ended up with a purple 3. I’m about 70% satisfied and my wife is about 30% satisfied. It was supposed to be a good mattress for back and side sleepers but I am only comfortable on my back. My wife only sleeps on her side and has trouble getting comfortable. It has the feel of being firm even though you sink into it. A different feeling for sure.

We found a hybrid mattress at the sleep Sherpa that I really wish we would’ve went with. It was about 1/2 the price and seemed to be a good fit for us. I went with the purple because it was different and I expected it to be a good fit for side and back sleeping.

tbruno

Purchased our first one well over twenty years ago. Loved it from day one and will never go back to a regular mattress. I like my side set at 35 and the wife likes hers at 40. We did end up with the canyon between the air chambers after about 15 years but didn’t really bother us as we both sleep close to the side of the bed. We purchased a new bed about 5 years ago simply because the pillow top wore through in a few places. Other than that never had any trouble with the air system at all.

brentbullets

Sleep number, bed is 20 years old, wife thinks we should replace it with another. I told sure if she wants to pay for it. She says heck NO, I bought this one. They have gone up in price quite a bit in 20 years. When and if it needs to be replaced we will buy another.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have a king size two chamber no frills one and I love it. I like it a bit softer as a stomach sleeper, and the only time I adjust it is if I mess up my back. I am tempted to see what a new cover costs (and some of the foam parts) rather than getting a whole new one because nothing really wears out support wise. Definitely sticking with sleep number.

Another thing that probably doesn’t matter to most people is that they are super easy to move. We have moved 5 times with this bed and it can be an easy one person job.

Deuces

Head and foot elevation adjustments can be had with other mattresses as well. Spendy contraption tho.

We went with a hybrid last spring, very happy with it.

When you go try beds out seriously wear sweatpants, loose t-shirt, as close as you can to real life. Hop in one with jeans and a big sweater it will give you a different feel.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

We are on our second sleep number bed.1st went 21 years then replaced with one with pillow top. Mrs like 40, I like 70 . She looks for sleep number beds when we choose motels. Love them

B-man

We had a Sleep Number, probably bought it 15 years ago.

I HATED IT

Like Biggill said, there was a big void in the middle that would always suck you in. And an air mattress is an air mattress….. reminded me of plush camping.

I ended up pulling the two air chambers out and Gorilla gluing them together LOL

I’m sure they’re much, much improved these days, but that was my personal experience.

munchy
    NULL

When I first met my wife she had a standard queen Sleep Number. Took me a while to get used to the ridge in the middle but eventually it was fine and once I found my Sleep Number never slept better.

After we bought a new house this summer with a much larger bedroom we also bought an adjustable split king Sleep Number with all the options you can think of and a pricetag to match. For sleeping we absolutely love it as there is no way we would be able to come to a decision on the firmness of a standard bed. The foot warming is amazing, it allows you to keep the house cooler while sleeping or just warm up the bed before climbing in. The adjustment of the head and foot is awesome for reading.

A few issues we have ran into, if you’re a couple that needs to snuggle, the split bed certainly makes it more difficult, the center ridge is big especially with the lower sleep numbers. Also if you have a medium to large dog that sleeps between you and your wife the crack between the mattress may slowly start getting wedged apart from the animal. Our dog gradually steals the covers overnight by stuffing them down the crack to keep himself on top. And finally the smart phone apps to control the bed can occasionally be buggy, enough so that you can’t make any changes to the bed, but eventually fix themselves.

Also make sure your bed will get a good wifi signal.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I can’t imagine sleeping on a bed that’s in the 30-40 range. I don’t want to feel like I’m sleeping “in” the bed, I want to be “on” the bed.

I bought my Sleep Number maybe 12 years ago, the very basic lowest price model, I think it was the Queen 2000.

Strangely what you don’t like is what I like most. I like it at about 35 because firm or hardboard mattresses torture my back come morning. My back and whole body coozes into a soft and sinking bed.

I’m most restful and in a hibernation feeling when I am “sleeping in the bed” and burrowing in. On top, I feel like an easy target. ???

Sometimes I even roll into that canyon between chambers and pull my bankie over my head.

My bed is my favorite place to sleep. wink

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And finally the smart phone apps to control the bed can occasionally be buggy, enough so that you can’t make any changes to the bed,

I almost forgot. I had 2 remotes replaced under the full warranty and one replaced under the prorated warranty. Cost me like $150. The last remote I had didn’t work either so I just gave up. I had 4 faulty remotes in spite of using it on average once a year. Now they have issues with the app that controls it?

munchy
    NULL

“Now they have issues with the app that controls it?”

Not always. Just occasionally. I can count three times in the past 6months where one of us couldn’t connect to the bed and the other had to make adjustments for the other. May have just been our phone connection, or the app may have been being updated etc. I should also mention I have an Android and the wife has an iPhone.

Mike West

Have had one for close to 20 years now.
    Not a problem with it. Holds it desired setting (well, every once in a while I deflate some and then raise back to where I like it)
    Can’t see myself owning anything else.
    Want to upgrade to the adjustable but other priorities keep getting in the way.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.