Dock opinion?

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve decided to go with a permanent dock – However, I can’t decide which way to go.

option A
    u shaped dock with canopy, no lift. Kinda like what you would see on Tonka.
    It would almost be a boat house but the pontoon would sit in the water all summer long.

option B
    straight dock with lift and canopy.
    I’m thinking if I get a lift I could leave the pontoon on it all winter long after winterization.

Any Thoughts?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Curious how you think you can keep your pontoon on the lift during winter? Most people pull their docks and lifts on winter. Even if your dock will be permanent will the lift be ok with the ice?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

From what I understand, everything is ok in the winter. Damage is done in the spring with the moving ice sheet. Electric water movers turned on in March/April are going to prevent damage.
    Dock installers guarantee the Dock and Lift. Says he does it all the time.

I’m thinking something like this one pictured.

Attachments:
    1. Dock.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Clowncolor –
    Funny, that’s what he asked.
    Roosevelt lake – long and skinny on the west side, and yes leave everything out all year long.
    It seems the water movers are key.
    I’m skeptical also, but he uses helical piers which is impressive and drives his skid loader on the dock. He told me currently the DNR will let you install a 8′ wide dock, but wants to make it 5′ in the near future.
    He builds a lot of boardwalks for the DNR.
    He said the DNR is his biggest customer.
    What surprised me was no permit required.

Charles

Damn man that is a big lake for permanent dock. So what type of water movers is he using? Are you near the South or North end?

I fish that a area quite a bit, let me know if you want some good information on
    a pike/bass lake up there.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I have been looking for an installer of a permanent dock in the northern crow wing county area, who have you been talking to? I would like an estimate.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

My cabin is on a 200 acre lake and the ice blows around taking out the docks that were left in. Ice is one of natures most destructive forces. Puny little trolling motor heads moving water will not stop any wind blown Ice at all. Good luck. If it works post pics every spring.

Mwal

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have been looking for an installer of a permanent dock in the northern crow wing county area, who have you been talking to? I would like an estimate.

http://www.customboardwalks.com/
    Talk to Terry very knowledgeable.

Damn man that is a big lake for permanent dock. So what type of water movers is he using? Are you near the South or North end?

I fish that a area quite a bit, let me know if you want some good information on
    a pike/bass lake up there.

I’m not quite sure on type of water movers, he’s pretty confident in his work. Actually he said one mover would work, but suggested 2.
    I will be on the NW corner a lot or two south of the little hook if you know where that is.
    I will take you up on info when I start fishing, we close on the cabin on Sept.

My cabin is on a 200 acre lake and the ice blows around taking out the docks that were left in. Ice is one of natures most destructive forces. Puny little trolling motor heads moving water will not stop any wind blown Ice at all. Good luck. If it works post pics every spring.

Mwal

I have to say I am a skeptic however, the structural integrity of his docks are very impressive.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

This picture sold me.

Attachments:
    1. Perm-dock.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

$1K L.F.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

correct.
    Yeah I know! I’m planning on robbing a bank in the near future.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

correct.
    Yeah I know! I’m planning on robbing a bank in the near future.

Well you do have a whole lotta skeptic’s following this thread. You could save a lot of $ with a far less expensive one that you pull out each fall and would have more peace of mind. The permanent dock might be ok but you’re talking about leaving your pontoon on a lift all winter? That would be of more concern I think. Also curious about the water movers? Do they run all winter or just early spring before ice out, huh? Do you or someone need to turn them on and check them periodically? What if they fail while you’re gone? Sorry to be so pessimistic, but curious about it all?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Student – Great question’s
    1) Pulling docks in and out, although a MN tradition isn’t to appealing to me. I’m always looking for an alternative.
    2) What would be the difference between your pontoon sitting on a trailer or out of the water on a lift all winter?
    3) I was told to turn your water mover (s) on when the ice starts to honeycomb and leave it on until ice out. As far as them failing, maybe that’s why he recommended 2.

I appreciate the Devil’s advocate, that’s why I’m throwing it out there.
    I was hoping an IDO’er had one installed and could offer more info.
    Also Roosevelt lake is long and narrow, I’ll be on the west side where I believe ice issues won’t be as bad as being on a large lake/bay.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Oh, I hear you on the dock process of installing in spring and pulling each fall. Many years ago I had another lake place and we’d do it ourselves and yes it was a pain in the arse particularly at the end of the dock where it’d drop off into deeper water. After about 10 years we just hired it done and then wondered why we didn’t just do that to begin with. Wasn’t all that expensive so that could be a cost analysis for you to consider.
    Regarding the pontoon, my thought wasn’t so much the pontoon itself being out over winter but the lift being left in. Granted if the dock is designed and installed as permanent, it would have the structural integrity. But the boat lift? Not sure if any are designed as something permanent, but maybe? Anyway, interesting proposal you’re considering here and I will be curious how it all plays out. wave

munchy
    NULL

Although I believe you can do what you wish with the right setup you could save a whole lotta money by getting a decent removable dock and lift and paying someone to remove and install them.

Also if it were me, I would get a trolley system that works like a boat lift, but brings the boat on to shore. They work great and can be used for storage year-round. They also make canopies that go over them. Then you just remove the rails that set in the lake. Also make maintenance a breeze as well. My aunt and uncle had one installed at their previous cabin. I wouldn’t own lake property without one.

I’m so glad the tax-payers are able to spend $1k a foot for these docks and walkways. I’ve seen some that must be a mile long. roll

munchy
    NULL

And if you were dead set on getting a permanent boat lift I would figure out a way to do like on the ocean, with 4 posts and rails.

I’m sure the company you are working with could figure out a setup with their system.

Attachments:
    1. image-78.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Student – I’m told the lift should be OK, partly because its protected by the dock and water movers. He says it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Munchy – I like the trolley idea and am still keeping that an option.

If I hit the powerball tonight I would go with a permanent U-shaped dock, with a lift, and a 4 post canopy setup.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Keep in mind that the ice expands and contracts all winter long. That’s why you hear all the cracking and popping as the temperature swings up and down. The dock may be OK but I would be leery of an aluminum lift surviving.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.