Do you use a swivel with jigging spoons?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Was jigging a VMC Tingler this past weekend and when I reeled in it would spin like crazy for a little bit. Wondering if I should use a swivel for these types of spoons or if that means I am jigging too much??

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I use a small swivel at all times with the possible exception of tiny tungstens in shallow water. Haven’t noticed any negative effects. Heck I almost always use a small snap too (with the same exception as above) because I’m too lazy to retie constantly and haven’t noticed any issues there either. I figure they’re already biting something big and metal so something 1% of the mass isn’t going to spook them off.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Main line – Size 12 barrel swivel – 6 or 8 lb. flouro leader (16 inches or so) – Small crankbait snap – Jigging spoon of choice.

This is what myself and most of my buddies use when jigging walleyes.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not usually. 2-3’ mono of fluoro leader to a snap. Sometimes I’ll put a swivel in the middle of the leader but rarely.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I always to a swivel at the transition from braid to my 2ft mono leader

eyeguy507
    SE MN

No, not usually. Way I see it is that as long as I twitch it, the spoon will not spin due to line twist. I use braid with flouro leader using an albright knot and never had problems. Jigging raps are the only lures I really have had problems with line twist and that is if I’m really ripping them which is rare.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Vertical spoons no. The only fish that will be put off by a bait unwinding are those that won’t likely hit any way.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Vertical spoons no. The only fish that will be put off by a bait unwinding are those that won’t likely hit any way.

I’ll disagree here Tom. I’ve watched on camera and many times when I drop down…perch, bluegill, crappies, walleyes will approach and watch it spin and once it comes to rest, they’ll move in and take it.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I used to but don’t anymore. I use a barrel swivel snap to take out the twist. I use a uniknot to connect my leader and just use the swivel snap.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yes…more action with swivel

No…less action with direct line tie

Whatever the fish wants when they’re picky. When not, doesn’t matter, they’ll bite anything.

tim hurley

The spoon will still spin with a swivel-it will spin with an in-line reel. Does it spin less with a swivel? Someone with more interest and/or time should do a test and show us. BTW I agree that they usually do not like the spin.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll disagree here Tom. I’ve watched on camera and many times when I drop down…perch, bluegill, crappies, walleyes will approach and watch it spin and once it comes to rest, they’ll move in and take it.

Then your fish are smarter where you’re at then they are down here. lol

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Way over thinking it…

SW Eyes

I just don’t really see a reason for not doing it with on a jigging set-up of any kind.

Not only for line twist (which is a real deterrent, despite what some are trying to say). I’m a huge fan of braid. Feel bites better in deep water, instant/solid hook sets without putting the rod through the roof.

I always have a fluoro leader, and I have never noticed the tiny barrel swivel 2-3 ft above the lure causing any “spooking” issues (if you don’t think a spinning lure is spooky, why would a tiny swivel be?).

I’ll run braid for multiple seasons only switching out the leader. Never an issue. Not one. Never lost a fish to a break off.

As I get older, I also find it much easier tying small diameter line onto a swivel instead of tying two pieces of tiny diameter line to each other. It’s just easier with less margin for error.

I also run small snaps almost always. So much better being able to switch lures on the fly. Again, never an issue.

There’s a reason why nearly every professional angler does the same. I know very few still spooling up full mono/flouro and tying directly to that, unless fishing the most finicky panfish outside. It’s like sending a letter in the mail when you can text. The only people who think it creates issues are the ones who haven’t switched to it.

iTinker

Main line – Size 12 barrel swivel – 6 or 8 lb. flouro leader (16 inches or so) – Small crankbait snap – Jigging spoon of choice.

This is what myself and most of my buddies use when jigging walleyes.

X2 on this–especially in high pressure lakes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.