Do you unhook your truck from your icehouse when you park it?

• usmarine0352

Once you park your permanent icehouse (Legend, Yetti, Ice Castle, etc….) on the ice do you unhook it or leave it hooked up?

Why do you do what you do?

Fowldreams55398

We leave it hooked up. Easier to make a move later obviously and once on the ice I have no intention of going back to shore until trip is done.

Coletrain27

Usually unhook mine and pull ahead a little bit. It’s easier to unload All the crap in the back of the truck that way. And at night we sometimes drive to shore for some food and beers

MNdrifter

Unhook ad pull ahead about 6’. I try an put my tail lights into the wind when we set up. If the snow drifts it will usually swirl around and drift in front of the pickup. When I back back to the fish house to hook back up I now have a few feet to get a run at it and get some momentum.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Leave it hooked up. Unless we have to run in. Easier leaving or moving if needed. Also some can be a pain in the a$$ to hook back up from what I have seen.

Jensen

Unhook ad pull ahead about 6’. I try an put my tail lights into the wind when we set up. If the snow drifts it will usually swirl around and drift in front of the pickup. When I back back to the fish house to hook back up I now have a few feet to get a run at it and get some momentum.

X2

Coletrain27

Leave it hooked up. Unless we have to run in. Easier leaving or moving if needed. Also some can be a pain in the a$$ to hook back up from what I have seen.

if you try to hook by up while the shack is lowered that can be a PITA since the coupler dont fit over the ball then. i always raise the shack before hooking back up. also unhooking while the shack is lowered will give ya trouble too

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Gotcha I guess it was when they were lowered.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

My yetti will not uncouple from the ball if I use the drop tongue due to the sharp angle. Also the yoke was really sloppy when towing so I just bolted the tongue.

Its pretty easy to just use the tongue jack and then I can pull away for the numerous reason others mentioned.

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

X2

X3

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Once you park your permanent icehouse (Legend, Yetti, Ice Castle, etc….) on the ice do you unhook it or leave it hooked up?
    Why do you do what you do?

Back when wheelhouses first became a thing in the early 80s, I witnessed the guy in the next shack run outside to make an emergency beer run during halftime of the game.

Unfortunately, he forgot he was still hitched up to the wheelhouse and a bunch of his buddies were still inside.

In a wheelhouse, nobody can hear you scream.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sounds like he may have contributed to the needing a beer run.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

My ’14 Grey Wolf doesn’t have the rotating tongue, so obviously mine comes off, and I pull ahead 6 or so feet like others have stated. Makes it so you don’t trip over the tongue when taking coolers or other gear out of the box. When we hook up to move or leave it literally takes 2 minutes.

castle-rock-clown

Leave hooked up. My rig is easy to hook and unhook.

Attachments:
    1. DFF63491-DC9B-4F63-A3F5-CFFE4F035F15-scaled.jpeg

castle-rock-clown

When I do use my pickup, once I get to my spot I make a hard left turn with the house still connected. It gives clear access to the truck bed. Also the little alcove it creates blocks the wind some for outdoor activities like grilling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.