Do I need to register a boat/PWC mod ?

• Serge

Hello All
    I have a not really fishing related question but a boating related one …
    Is it possible to modify a boat or personal watercraft to increase a number of people it can carry (officially) ?
    Like for a sea doo – it is a 3 seater but I want it to be 4 seater(for towing and inflatable with 2 kids)
    Thank you for all the answers in advance.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So, if I get what you’re asking, your PWC has a rating capacity of 3 persons, yet you want to legally increase that to 4 persons so that you can have a driver, spotter, and 2 kids on a tube.

I can’t imagine that you could officially change it because those capacities are based on hull size. You’re not all going to be on the PWC at once (right?), so I would think you’d be fine as-is. I would be greatly surprised if you were to receive a ticket.

Serge

Thank you ! )
    You – you got it right. “based on hull size” leave me no choice.
    I hope I will not get a ticket but wanted to know if I can protect myself officially ..
    I have a few ideas like towing a boat (2+ capacity) instead of an regular inflatable .. Will this work ? not that much fun by the way

Or I can just buy one from US (see picture)
    4 seaters are not manufactured anymore (

Or maybe
    Another one – Will a stabilizer(see picture) increase hull size allowing me to add one more seater ?

Attachments:
    1. addon.jpg

2. seedoo.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Where are you located?

I honestly think you’re putting more thought into this than 99.9% of people would. Unless you’re riding around with 4 people on it, I don’t think you’ll have a problem at all.

Serge

Yes – most-likely ) just trying to respect the low a bit . (in this case a stupid one)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I can’t imagine that you could officially change it because those capacities are based on hull size. You’re not all going to be on the PWC at once (right?), so I would think you’d be fine as-is. I would be greatly surprised if you were to receive a ticket.

People being towed on skies, a tube, wake board or other water toy(s) count as passengers and are include in the total capacity rating. Yes, the DNR can and will write tickets for over capacity. Very little discretion as being over capacity is considered a safety violation.

Serge

How much is the fine by the way ?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

People being towed on skies, a tube, wake board or other water toy(s) count as passengers and are include in the total capacity rating. Yes, the DNR can and will write tickets for over capacity. Very little discretion as being over capacity is considered a safety violation.

Thanks for your wet blanket. Sure, they can, but even in MN, I have yet to hear of a case of a PWC rider being ticketed for having too many people on a tube (I realize that you will likely find some obscure example now to prove me wrong). I guarantee they could write these tickets all day on any populated lake.

Serge

Ok – Back to original question.
    If I “somehow” increase hull size (just learned that it should be 11×5 to allow 4 seaters from here https://www.boaterexam.com/boating-resources/boat-capacity.aspx) – so I need just to add one extra foot to make it wider … if I do so – How do I register that to get a plate with 4 seaters ? or just size is enough ?

Thank you all for input!

Serge

I can be boating : Lake Huron (Sauble beach) or Lake Ontario(Toronto), Canada

Serge

How about towing an inflatable boat (it has its own capacity)

mike e

There use to be an open centered hull where the PWC docked in, making it a boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Each watercraft has a US Coast Guard approved maximum persons capacity and/or weight capacity. Exceeding this not only is against the law, more importantly, should you get into an accident while in violation, your insurance will not cover you which could result in a big medical bill or other accident cost.

Would an officer write a citation to you for having an extra person on a tube being towed behind a PWC? Probably not. Just keep in mind that they certainly COULD though.

Serge

There use to be an open centered hull where the PWC docked in, making it a boat.

I know but is sized like a boat and priced accordingly )
    Too big. Sorry. But thank you for looking into that.

Serge

Each watercraft has a US Coast Guard approved maximum persons capacity and/or weight capacity. Exceeding this not only is against the law, more importantly, should you get into an accident while in violation, your insurance will not cover you which could result in a big medical bill or other accident cost.

Would an officer write a citation to you for having an extra person on a tube being towed behind a PWC? Probably not. Just keep in mind that they certainly COULD though.

Good point ! So – I need a law-friendly solution ! )
    Or I can just cut the rope and pretend that they are on their own)

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m confused on your application of this. Are you wanting to use this as a fishing / cruising vessel or to pull kids around on a tube?

Serge

I’m confused on your application of this. Are you wanting to use this as a fishing / cruising vessel or to pull kids around on a tube?

Both!.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why not just call the dnr and dmv. Get both answers straight from the horses mouth.
    Every one on here will just argue back and forth.
    It’s pretty simple , if you get checked and are over the max load or capacity it equals a ticket. How much is the ticket I have no idea. I’m not dumb enough to over load the boat I operate.

Serge

Why not just call the dnr and dmv. Get both answers straight from the horses mouth.
    Every one on here will just argue back and forth.
    It’s pretty simple , if you get checked and are over the max load or capacity it equals a ticket. How much is the ticket I have no idea. I’m not dumb enough to over load the boat I operate.

I am afraid I have a phobia – I am scared of phone calls )
    Sure I will call if I have no choice.
    The question would be : how to “avoid” a ticket in case I deserved it ? )
    Thanks.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If you want to 100% follow the letter of the law, I think you are SOL. I can’t imagine modifying a PWC and getting it certified for a larger capacity than the manufaacturer did.

Why don’t you just use a boat? If you’re tied to the PWC idea, you can pick up a Seadoo-style jet boat for pretty reasonably and avoid all the questions and frustrations.

Serge

If you want to 100% follow the letter of the law, I think you are SOL. I can’t imagine modifying a PWC and getting it certified for a larger capacity than the manufaacturer did.

Why don’t you just use a boat? If you’re tied to the PWC idea, you can pick up a Seadoo-style jet boat for pretty reasonably and avoid all the questions and frustrations.

Too big ( Easier to get a 4 seater from US. But a nice try.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m all out of ideas for you, then. wave

Serge

In general i like Seadoo-style jet boat idea. Will see ..
    Thank you.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

There’s no legal way as far as I know. The sticker is the law. My cousin cut a Jon boat in half the long way and made it 3 feet wider but they said in doing that it didn’t increase the capacity of it. That being said, I see jet skis running around pulling 2 or 3 people on a tube with a spotter on the ski and I never see any of them get in trouble. I think it’s one of those things as long as everyone’s got a life jacket and you’re not drunk or being stupid, you shouldn’t have any issues. Worst case scenario you get a ticket. But 9/10 times they’ll give you a warning unless it’s becoming a problem.

Serge

Nice example from real life. So , the plate/sticker is everything regardless of size. Probably there is no way to change the sticker after a mod …

B-man

What about this?

Convert your Jet Ski into a Boat!

https://www.sealver.com/

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.