DIY Oil Change on Vehicles

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    At my shop we are checking most if not all the things listed. There is not much to lube on today’s vehicles. We do mine the history and make legit recommendations. Find a repair shop you can trust and stick with them, there are still good ones out there. We don’t charge to put the wipers on, but do charge for good quality wipers. Maybe your just going to the wrong shops or expect things to be done for little profit. Again I’m not trying to argue with anyone, just everybody thinks we are all out to rip them off or heaven forbid make a justifiable recommendation ie “the dreaded up sell”

Not trying to start anything either. I was mostly being facetious regarding my wiper comment. I don’t go to a mechanic, so no issues on being overcharged. The only thing I can’t handle in my garage is a tire swap.

I guess I still run some urethane bushings on my summer car, so that’s a lube point checkpoint me.

I think $110-125 for what you mentioned and an oil change is a legit price point. Assuming good quality parts are being using. I assume you’re in the MSP area, if you’re further north at a small shop, I would think $90-110.

I am north metro.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    So not wanting to start an argument here, but if you owned an auto repair business what would you think an oil change with full synthetic oil should cost

People dont wanna realize how expensive stuff just is now. Topping off their washer fluid cost twice as much, the can of brake clean you use to clean up oil residue is 7 dollars a can now instead of 2.99. Finally oil recyclers are paying for used oil again instead of charging to pick it up. Paying the company to clean shop rags. It all adds up. If people want a 39.99 oil change everyone will be doing it themselves cause all places doing it will close.

Exactly the case. Every single cost has gone up. All the repairs have almost doubled since I’ve been doing this. It’s no different than any other thing we have to spend our money on

Stanley

I agree that businesses need to make money and charge accordingly to stay in the black. To the comment about oil changes being money losers I call bs. A friend of a friend owns a local quick lube place and about 3yrs ago built a million dollar house on a local lake. Guess it could be the expensive wipers and air filters paying for that house jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It is $105 at Oreily’s for 7 quarts of full synthetic oil and filter. I use the Ultra Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic Motor. I never used Pennzoil before this. As a kid I heard nothing but bad stories about it leaving carbon buildup. I have had hemi’s since 2007, and normally ran Mobil 1. I would change the oil at 6k. On every motor once the motor would get to about 3k on a change I would start hearing the lifters click. Drove me nuts. On my 2022 6.4 I started using the recommended Ultra Pennzoil and it doesn’t have any lifter noise at all even at oil change time. I’ll pay up for that oil, if I think it works better then other oil.

Order a couple cases of it on Amazon and you’ll save 30 percent cost of o Riley. I run the same and been buying off Amazon after I was shocked at how hard it was to find locally and the prices.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You guys spend so much time trying to save money it costs you money.

It’s not to save money, it’s to save hassles and time. In the time it would take to drive to the shop and wait for 1 oil change and drive home, I can change oil on 2 vehicles.

Also, there is the endless effups by the Quickie Change “techs”. Stripped plugs, over/under tightened plugs, old oil filter gasket left in place, under/over filled, the list is endless.

The ultimate fail was when a Quickie Lube in Minnetonka somehow had my work colleague’s F250 (just 18k miles on it) fall off the lift and slam into the vehicle in the next bay, knocking that vehicle off the lift too. I saw the carnage myself. It took 2 days to get both vehicles extracted. The poor pickup was (eventually) totaled.

There is also control. I like NOT having to depend on somebody else to do everything for me. Individual agency is the psychology term for it. I don’t like to be a hostage to my own stuff.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I get the control aspect for sure. However if you found the right shop it would never feel like a hostage situation. As always I respect your opinion on things and know you and a lot of the others here have the skills to do the job and if the wheels are off the ground make some assessments on worn parts. At the end of the day it is whatever works for you

munchy
    NULL

What pushed me away from having the dealer do any work was after the dealer I bought my last truck from got shutdown in the GM bankruptcy debacle. GM sent me 5 “free oil change and inspection” coupons at Lupient Chevy in Bloomington since they were now the closest dealer. I brought my truck in and they said it should only be “a little while”. 3 hours later they come to me saying I need new rear brake shoes, saying they are getting thin. Told them I’d do them myself. 6 months later I finally got around to changing them, take them out and the old ones are the same thickness as the brand new Napa shoes. My trust in mechanics and dealerships went out the window at that moment, and will take a lot to regain. Threw the rest of the free oil changes away after that as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Every vehicle, toy, and piece of equipment we own I do on the lift here…except the wife’s ride.

My wife’s 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland will never get a minute of my service time. She’s got the longest warranty she could buy, the rust proofing, the full 9 yards…along with x6 oil changes and a 1 year old free detail. I don’t want a single thing coming back on me (from my wife or the dealer) if there’s an issue from me working on the warrantied vehicle.

I’m old school and run my stuff a long time, so it makes sense for me to poke around and learn about the vehicle/toy/equipment while doing some simple maintenance and saving a little $.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

What pushed me away from having the dealer do any work was after the dealer I bought my last truck from got shutdown in the GM bankruptcy debacle. GM sent me 5 “free oil change and inspection” coupons at Lupient Chevy in Bloomington since they were now the closest dealer. I brought my truck in and they said it should only be “a little while”. 3 hours later they come to me saying I need new rear brake shoes, saying they are getting thin. Told them I’d do them myself. 6 months later I finally got around to changing them, take them out and the old ones are the same thickness as the brand new Napa shoes. My trust in mechanics and dealerships went out the window at that moment, and will take a lot to regain. Threw the rest of the free oil changes away after that as well.

Munchy, I get it! I wouldn’t trust them either. It’s why I try so hard to gain trust and never take that for granted. Trust is hard to earn and sadly easy to lose.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

It is $105 at Oreily’s for 7 quarts of full synthetic oil and filter. I use the Ultra Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic Motor. I never used Pennzoil before this. As a kid I heard nothing but bad stories about it leaving carbon buildup. I have had hemi’s since 2007, and normally ran Mobil 1. I would change the oil at 6k. On every motor once the motor would get to about 3k on a change I would start hearing the lifters click. Drove me nuts. On my 2022 6.4 I started using the recommended Ultra Pennzoil and it doesn’t have any lifter noise at all even at oil change time. I’ll pay up for that oil, if I think it works better then other oil.

Get the oreilly brand oil and you can cut that price almost in half or close to it. I’ve heard havoline makes their oil but who knows, I haven’t had any issues with it. I get their brand full synthetic oil 6 quarts and wix do filter and it’s about $55-$60.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Don’t care if you do it yourself or go to the most expensive place around, changing your vehicles oil and putting fuel in the tank ARE the 2 cheapest things you can do to your vehicle. JMO

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

July 30, 2024 at 7:40 pm#2283294
    I get the control aspect for sure. However if you found the right shop it would never feel like a hostage situation. As always I respect your opinion on things and know you and a lot of the others here have the skills to do the job and if the wheels are off the ground make some assessments on worn parts. At the end of the day it is whatever works for you

I use a local independent shop and they are terrific. Since I’m still driving a GMC, there’s plenty of breakdown visits to the shop when they can then inspect the worn parts. devil

It’s okay GM guys. Simmer down, I’m only joking kind of.

I just got back from Canada. 1400 miles of towing and the old Acadia with 187k on the original motor used 1/3 of a quart of oil.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Too old to be crawling under my vehicles. If i had a beautiful shop with a lift, absolutely would change it myself! I found a small GM dealership that does 6 qts synthetic and a free wash for $69. Not worth the hassle to me. Kind of like pumping gas at FF to save .83 cents with the coupon.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

A buddy of mine bought a brand new 67 vette in 67 . The dealer was in Milwaukee . They called him to come get his car . His first oil change was done . He made it exactly to the first stop and go and the motor locked up . Dealer pulled the plug and never put oil back in . They ended up getting him a factory short block numbers verified . He still has that car today

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A buddy of mine bought a brand new 67 vette in 67 . The dealer was in Milwaukee . They called him to come get his car . His first oil change was done . He made it exactly to the first stop and go and the motor locked up . Dealer pulled the plug and never put oil back in . They ended up getting him a factory short block numbers verified . He still has that car today

Yeah but at least he didn’t waste time changing his own oil. whistling

Iowaboy1

Few random thoughts here, first off good on you guys who can change their own oil and can save some money.
    What I want you to consider about cheap oil, not talking about the better brands that are sold in big box stores, IE, walmart, ff and such.
    All oil sold in the USA has to meet a lot of specifications to be certified for use in any engine, consider this, those conditions have to be met when the oil is fresh in the jug, , think about this, will those conditions be met a thousand miles down the road? you get what you pay for and I have had too many vehicles in my shop that are full of sludge that plugs up cam actuators, phaser solenoids, and even bad enough to plug the intake screen to the oil pump, yep, you sure saved a ton of money!!

Here in my shop I use Schaeffer’s, I can tell you its worth every cent and then some.
    We take a sample at every oil change and send them to a lab to be checked out,this is at no cost to our customers, I cant tell you how many vehicles with engines of every design that we service are running 8 to 16 thousand miles on a change.
    Expensive? yes, sure is but when you consider you are getting two to three oil changes worth out of one oil change the cost goes down considerably.
    What I like about the analysis is that they tell us when nitrates are high that indicates a fuel or emissions related issue, iron, copper content, etc etc that are wear indicators and we can be proactive in saving a motor if an issue arises, IE, timing chains and sprockets, rocker arm or cam issues.
    So far using Schaeffer’s we are not seeing any wear issues other than in motors that used another brand before being switched to it.

We have had to purge motors with another Schaeffer’s product when sludge content is high in those motors, I have had several that had enough sludge build up to plug oil filters !! In my shop thread there are a few pictures of that stuff, it is sickening to think that cheap oil or lack of oil changes can cause this kind of thing, quit being cheap!!

I make about a buck and a half on each quart of oil, not worth it when you consider I am paying over fifteen hundred dollars per 55 gallon drum that I pay upfront for but I want my customers to have the absolute best oil in their vehicles so that they will last a long time.
    Depending on the oil filter, cost to the customer runs from six bucks to twenty three bucks each.
    I charge a service fee to do this, why?? time is money and there is no money in oil changes, that fee covers labor, disposal of oil and oil filter, shop rags, brake cleaner used to clean up any messes, oil dry,etc.
    That fee buys you the customer the assurance that I have personally looked over your entire vehicle front to back, side to side, some of you call it looking for work, not here, we do it to ensure that your vehicle is safe to drive first and foremost, if something is unsafe I’ll show you so that you can see it with your own eyes, we also advise on brake wear and any suspension issue, tire wear is another thing we look at, axle seals, etc etc.

And I want you to think about this, every piece of equipment or tools that I have dont know how to pay for themselves and I am not working for nothing.
    There are building payments, insurance, utilities, labor, taxes, on and on that have to be paid for everyday including when I am not here on the weekends, the furnace or AC is always running.
    The cost to run a business is expensive!! I have to clear over two grand per month to keep the lights on, so please, dont biatch about what an oil change costs when its done the right way, its the cheapest thing you can do for your vehicle.

I could say a lot more but I have to get to work, I have had the lights on since 6:15 and I have a lot of work to do.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I could say a lot more but I have to get to work, I have had the lights on since 6:15 and I have a lot of work to do.

Have a good day Sheldon! May all your nuts and bolts cooperate today. waytogo

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree that businesses need to make money and charge accordingly to stay in the black. To the comment about oil changes being money losers I call bs. A friend of a friend owns a local quick lube place and about 3yrs ago built a million dollar house on a local lake. Guess it could be the expensive wipers and air filters paying for that house jester

I have been in the business, in a dealership (hence MOPAR) and there is only one store I managed, that ever made money consistently on oil changes… that was on Maui. We lost money almost every oil change in St. Cloud, Shakopee and now Brainerd. You can break even or even make a little, with add on services, such as tire rotations or tire repairs. Call BS all you want. And yeah, the quick lube places make money on oil changes… and people keep going there… for $12/Hr “techs” working on their vehicle. Cheap filters, cheap oil and cheap techs = PROFIT

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Here you Pennzoil guys go

Attachments:
    1. rebate.jpg

Stanley

Big G I am also in the business. Over 20yrs now as well as family in the dealership business for 60yrs. Have friends that are techs also. When you consider the overhead of most shops and dealerships yes you can’t make money on oil changes alone. Your explanation of the quick lubes places proves there is money to be made in the right situations so I was calling bs on your blanket statement that there is no money in oil changes. Just like at my shop we have too much overhead to make money on the little pay out of pocket stuff we need the insurance work.

riverbassman

Here you Pennzoil guys go
    Attachments:

Yep, what I mentioned in my above post, these are the rebates I look for. Now, couple the rebate with a sale at Fleet Farm and you can do a cheap oil change yourself.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    You guys spend so much time trying to save money it costs you money.

It’s not to save money, it’s to save hassles and time. In the time it would take to drive to the shop and wait for 1 oil change and drive home, I can change oil on 2 vehicles.

Also, there is the endless effups by the Quickie Change “techs”. Stripped plugs, over/under tightened plugs, old oil filter gasket left in place, under/over filled, the list is endless.

The ultimate fail was when a Quickie Lube in Minnetonka somehow had my work colleague’s F250 (just 18k miles on it) fall off the lift and slam into the vehicle in the next bay, knocking that vehicle off the lift too. I saw the carnage myself. It took 2 days to get both vehicles extracted. The poor pickup was (eventually) totaled.

There is also control. I like NOT having to depend on somebody else to do everything for me. Individual agency is the psychology term for it. I don’t like to be a hostage to my own stuff.

To be fair, the original post was about the expense. Plus, I wanted to get a couple people riled up.

I think “individual agency” might be a bit overblown but I get what you’re saying.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

However if you found the right shop it would never feel like a hostage situation.

John if I remember correctly you work at Victory Auto, which the Chan location was by my old office (and we networked with Jordan), you guys are great over there and I went there for years before switching to a place in a more convenient location for me. But I’d go back there in a heart beat!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you’re worried bout the price of an oil change, do not purchase a diesel.

Attachments:
    1. Diesel.pdf
    Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Thats crazy. Never owned a diesel. Is it normal to change both of those fuel filters every oil change?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Thats crazy. Never owned a diesel. Is it normal to change both of those fuel filters every oil change?

Depending what he does for oil. Full synthetic can push 15k miles. his oil change is 3 x the millage of a gasser. Instead of 5k millage change he can push triple that. In the end the cost difference is very little for oil. Fuel filters are 15k as well. And a hour in the garage would cut 500 bucks off that bill.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

John if I remember correctly you work at Victory Auto, which the Chan location was by my old office (and we networked with Jordan), you guys are great over there and I went there for years before switching to a place in a more convenient location for me. But I’d go back there in a heart beat!

Yep I manage the Ham Lake location. Thanks for the kind words it is a great organization to be a part of. Several of you guys have given me the honor of servicing your vehicles and I really appreciate that.

Viewing 27 posts - 61 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.