DIY Oil Change on Vehicles

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I’ve always been and will continue to be a DIY oil change guy.

With my newer vehicles I buy Motorcraft filters and oil.
    Older ones get Walmart brand.

5-8 quarts of synthetic

Its starting to run me 40 bucks an oil change?

Is there a cheaper way that I am not aware of?

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Costco has a Kirkland Brand of oil, I know it comes in 0W-20 and I believe 5W-30. It’s normally $40 for (3) 5 quart jugs. Goes on sale about 1-2 times a year for about $32.

I buy all my Wix Filters in Bulk, seems to save a buck or two. Napa Gold Filters are made by Wix.

That’s what I run in my DDs. Then the rest gets Amsoil. Which you get the “discounted” price if you spend $500/year.

JEREMY
    BP

If you can still do it synthetic for 40 bucks you must bust putting half the oil in your pocket on the way to the counter.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Something isn’t adding up.

There’s no way you can do an oil change for that much using Schaeffer oil.

…and if you aren’t using Schaeffer, you’re doing oil changes wrong.

FinickyFish

Supertech from Walmart. They even make a high mileage full synthetic now. <$20 for 5 quarts. As long as it isn’t a performance vehicle and you do your standard change intervals, it’s just as fine as anything else. I’ve gone multiple 4×4 vehicles with occasional pulling over 200k miles with no engine issues.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Pennzoil Synthetic 5qt jugs at Walmart $23ea, Pennzoil online rebate is buy 2 5qt jugs get $25 rebate. So $20 for 10 qts
    I use the Fram oil filters and buy 3 or 4 per car when on sale at Fleet farm/Walmart averages out to about $5ea and I service 5 cars/trucks in my household. Recycle the oil and filters at Tires Plus they take the oil and filters for free.
    DIY oil change cost me $15-$17

munchy
    NULL

I buy the Quaker State Full Synthetic with Dexos 1.25 gallon jugs from Menards when they are on sale with a rebate, which final price comes to $17.99 and basically free when I pay with one of my 1000s of dollars in rebates I get each year. I also get the Purolater filters at the same time for like $8.

My truck takes 8qts so about 1.5 jugs. So about a total of $35 if I were to pay out of pocket.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240729_135012.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i just had my truck down at Quality lube for an air bag sensor issue. as long as it was there i had them change oil…that was close to 75 bucks.

i use the resolute from FF and fram filters and get it done for under 40.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I am normally right around $40-$50 depending on the deals. But oriley or autozone will normally have mobile 1 with an oil filer for $45ish. Granted that is only 5 quarts of oil.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Mobile 1 is now available in a 12 quart bulk box at Walmart and when I’ve bought them that was the lowest price per quart.

I have used Mobil 1 for every oil change in every vehicle I’ve owned since 1987 and I’m not switching.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You guys spend so much time trying to save money it costs you money.

Probably the same guys who still think you need to change oil every 3000 miles…

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Great Ideas!

Looks like my pricing is in line with everyone else.

munchy
    NULL

I went to Valvoline ONCE with my current truck, cost over $140 just to change the oil, nothing else. They gouge you for the extra 3 quarts of full synthetic and likely upcharge for the Dexos requirement. I’ll gladly save over $100 to do a 20 minute job every 5000 miles.

JoeMX1825
    MN

count me in this group now… used to do it in my early years but now I’ll gladly pay the $80 for somebody else to crawl under the car…30 seconds of internet searching typically uncovers a good discount coupon that gets you closer to the DIY price…

I’ll still change the oil myself for my toys though as thats just highway robbery at a dealer…

To each their own…

FinickyFish

Weird that people on a hunting/fishing forum enjoy the ‘hunt’ for a good deal… whodathunkit jester chased

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Get Mobil 1 at Wally world and Mobil one filters . Just read an article about thermal breakdown , the silent engine killer . Wonder about cheap oil and the additive packages that prevent this from happening ? Not all synthetics are created equally .

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Its more of a convenience choice for me. Not many shops will change your oil around midnight waytogo

CaptainMusky

I have all my vehicles serviced at the dealer my son works at. I even get his deal so a full synthetic change (8 quarts for my truck) and tire rotations is like $60. WHich reminds me I am due for one.

dirtywater

I’ve come around to this as well. At this point in my life my time is more valuable than anything. On my “not a real truck” I can usually get a full synthetic for about 100 since it takes less than 6 qts. Also, when you get your oil changed at a shop that regularly reports to Carfax, it goes into the maintenance history. used car buyers really like to see that.

I also like to rotate my tires when I get an oil change. If you’ve ever tried to warranty out a tire without records of tire rotations at proper intervals…

Deuces

Work van under warranty gets the fast lane changes.

My truck which I’ll drive into the ground I do myself, takes 20min and I enjoy lubing it up myself. Usually go w whatever higher brand is on sale at oreillys. Always Upgraded filter

Charles

Amsoil due it myself, I don’t have time to take it to a shop so I am one of those midnight oil change guys lol. I also keep my vechiles till they blow up so no need of a record.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve come around to this as well. At this point in my life my time is more valuable than anything

I won’t get into the cost of service. But I agree TIME is the most important thing to me at this point. The other thing people don’t seem to value is an inspection from a certified technician. When you go to instant oil change places or DIY is someone qualified to look at the vehicle checking it out.

Reef W

Auto shop near me charges $55 and, even though it’s easy enough to change myself, I’d rather pay the $15-20 or however much “extra” it is to have it looked over by a mechanic. Every problem I’ve had they’ve found very early before I noticed, like transmission cooler leaking literally just a couple of drops that wasn’t enough to drip yet, and then I bring it over to dealership and get it fixed under warranty.

CaptainMusky

I just hate having to deal with all the waste oil that is a major PITA.

JEREMY
    BP

Do it on a gravel driveway. Dust control.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>
    I’ve come around to this as well. At this point in my life my time is more valuable than anything

I won’t get into the cost of service. But I agree TIME is the most important thing to me at this point. The other thing people don’t seem to value is an inspection from a certified technician. When you go to instant oil change places or DIY is someone qualified to look at the vehicle checking it out.

You’re telling me the guy a dealer hired to do oil changes all day long is a certified tech? I find that hard to believe, although it’s possible. I will trust myself checking over my vehicle over some 20 year old. Do be quite honest, I trust my opinion more than many “mechanics” I have talked to. I’ll never forget the time I brought my vehicle into the local Chevy dealership to get UV dye added to my AC system. When I pulled in the guy with a ASE Cert badge told me I had a major bearing issue with something in the front of my vehicle and they’ll need to check it out. I said, there’s not issue, I think what you hear is the centrifugal blower. He looked at me like I was speaking French.

Guys that mention they value their time, so what are you doing when you get an oil change? Are you dropping the vehicle off, then going on your merry way? How long does it take, round trip, to drive to the dealer and back? Do you value or time, or just value the time you’re not on your back doing an oil change?

CaptainMusky

Do it on a gravel driveway. Dust control.

Do you have one I can use because mine is paved.

Reef W

Guys that mention they value their time, so what are you doing when you get an oil change? Are you dropping the vehicle off, then going on your merry way? How long does it take, round trip, to drive to the dealer and back? Do you value or time, or just value the time you’re not on your back doing an oil change?

I drop mine off. It takes about 8 minutes round trip, depends how long one of the lights is lol

CaptainMusky

Sometimes I wait, other times I take my son’s car and leave.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

2 stripped drain plugs by the fast oil change place has me doing my own for the last 30 years.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.