DIY glow ring

• Chris Schoblocher

I really like the idea of the Vexilar Glow-Ring for charging jigs but couldn’t see paying $40 for it. I Like to DIY stuff when I can so I gave it a shot. I got some UV LED strips on Amazon for $13 and I have enough LEDs to make 5 rings if I wanted. The ring is a $0.54 1 1/2″ ABS plumbing union and a $3 toggle switch. I made a bracket to mount the ring with stuff called InstaMorph – Moldable Plastic. I had some wire laying around to use on it. All in all I would say the one ring cost me $7 max. It works great and glows up a jig quick. Now I cant wait for ice to be able to use it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2761.jpg

2. IMG_2760.jpg

3. IMG_2759.jpg

zooks

that looks really nice, well done and thanks for sharing

Sylvanboat

However, is UV better than a bright light??

B-man

Very nice waytogo

UV is better for many glow paints. I have a couple 18650 uv flashlights, one is around 405nm, the other is a bit less, I think around 395nm. The glow induced using those different leds varies greatly. Some lure paints glow better with one, others the other. Kinda crazy actually how variable they are. That said, I use a 3200 lumen flashlight most of the time.

Most of what is sold as UV really is outside the “UV” range, below 385 isn’t really visible to most folks.

Attachments:
    1. 20191210_183627.jpg

Chris Schoblocher

I have always been told that UV or black light is best for glow stuff. I also found this in reference to light sources for glow charging. Glow

SW Eyes

Nice.

Some of these newer units will have a jig glow feature built in (illuminates the screen at max brightness for a short time to glow, then returns back to normal). I know my Humminbird does and it’s works pretty well. But, that looks like it would be much better, might have to give it a try. Great idea.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I will take some of those led’s sense you have more to make 4 more.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Glow …..from Chris Schoblocher

This is a fantastic place for glow products and information. I still have the first box my first product came in from this company [about 18 years ago judging by the date on the shipping label] and still use them today. I still have some of the original order’s glow red, ultra green glow and glow purple and all three of these have as much glow as when they arrived at my doorstep.

I keep all of my Glowinc glow powders in a very dark environment in that original box. Other glow powders from different vendors gets stored in a small shoe box and in a dark closet where temperatures don’t get very warm.
    I have and use glow colors as follows: red, blue, ultragreen, orange, purple and aqua. I no longer use the orange as its close to the red in glow color but miserable for holding a charge. The aqua is a sleeper color as is the purple and both of those are ordered 4 ounces at a time.

I use a lot of the powdered pigments in making soft plastics, mostly ice tackle, but use plenty of it by request on jigs. I don’t mix pigment into any paint for the jigs but rather coat the jigs with clear CS vinyl jig coat, then dust the head with raw pigment over an aluminum pie tine to catch the excess. The heads are hung until dry, then get dipped into CS seal coat.

A couple pointers on glow jigs. Keep them warm while fishing and they’ll charge much easier. There are uv enhancing sprays and dips on the market that do exactly what the name implies….they enhance the amount of uv found in natural daylight. These can help in charging the glow jigs by mega focusing the uv in the light source. I always used natural sunlight to light up my jigs and plastics but used a camera flash on occasion and a small 12 volt black light that somehow I have misplaced. All three were excellent charging sources.

Chris Schoblocher

Nice.

Some of these newer units will have a jig glow feature built in (illuminates the screen at max brightness for a short time to glow, then returns back to normal). I know my Humminbird does and it’s works pretty well. But, that looks like it would be much better, might have to give it a try. Great idea.

Now that you mention it I have heard about that feature on some units. Thanks. My cheapness and love to make stuff works sometimes. Lol

Chris Schoblocher

Glow …..from Chris Schoblocher

This is a fantastic place for glow products and information. I still have the first box my first product came in from this company [about 18 years ago judging by the date on the shipping label] and still use them today. I still have some of the original order’s glow red, ultra green glow and glow purple and all three of these have as much glow as when they arrived at my doorstep.

I keep all of my Glowinc glow powders in a very dark environment in that original box. Other glow powders from different vendors gets stored in a small shoe box and in a dark closet where temperatures don’t get very warm.
    I have and use glow colors as follows: red, blue, ultragreen, orange, purple and aqua. I no longer use the orange as its close to the red in glow color but miserable for holding a charge. The aqua is a sleeper color as is the purple and both of those are ordered 4 ounces at a time.

I use a lot of the powdered pigments in making soft plastics, mostly ice tackle, but use plenty of it by request on jigs. I don’t mix pigment into any paint for the jigs but rather coat the jigs with clear CS vinyl jig coat, then dust the head with raw pigment over an aluminum pie tine to catch the excess. The heads are hung until dry, then get dipped into CS seal coat.

A couple pointers on glow jigs. Keep them warm while fishing and they’ll charge much easier. There are uv enhancing sprays and dips on the market that do exactly what the name implies….they enhance the amount of uv found in natural daylight. These can help in charging the glow jigs by mega focusing the uv in the light source. I always used natural sunlight to light up my jigs and plastics but used a camera flash on occasion and a small 12 volt black light that somehow I have misplaced. All three were excellent charging sources.

Cool. Lots of useful info.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SW Eyes wrote:</div>
    Nice.

Now that you mention it I have heard about that feature on some units. Thanks. My cheapness and love to make stuff works sometimes. Lol

I can appreciate this effort Chris. It is fun making things for everyday use. I get it. always keep thinking is what makes great inventions come to the forefront. Now if you could design a glow ring that only glows when you suspend a lure in it………..GAMESETMATCH!

Chris Schoblocher

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Schoblocher wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SW Eyes wrote:</div>
    Nice.

I can appreciate this effort Chris. It is fun making things for everyday use. I get it. always keep thinking is what makes great inventions come to the forefront. Now if you could design a glow ring that only glows when you suspend a lure in it………..GAMESETMATCH!

Lol You had to mention that! Now my head will be thinking of ways to do that exact thing.

Chris Schoblocher

Some have been interested in this project so I took some closer pictures. The white piece I made is just super glued to the ABS fitting. Also I forgot to mention in the original post they are waterproof LEDs.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2774.jpg

2. IMG_2773.jpg

3. IMG_2772.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.