Diamondback Truck Cover

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Thinking that whenever i purchase a new truck i will go with one of these. From my research so far they seem to be a great choice for security, durability and water resistance. pretty cool you can load stuff on top of them too. Anyone have one that would care to share some of your thoughts? Likes/Dislikes

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I hate the looks of a topper but like to lock stuff up so this was the best solution for me. The last few trucks i would run a tool box in the summer and put a topper on for the winter. The problem is having to take the heavy fiberglass topper off a couple times a year to move something large/tall like a freezer. With the diamond back I can just flip one side open or take one panel off, or the whole thing in a few minutes and i’m not able to do that by myself with a topper. I have not had any water leak in any more than a good topper and I’m very happy with the seals and locks. It’s great to load long lumber, portable ice house, etc, on top of the cover and still have full access to underneath. I just hauled a ping pong table up there this morning. Many items that would tear through a soft cover in a short ride. It took me a while to pull the trigger but no regrets here- it does exactly what I needed out of a top.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I forgot to mention the one and only issue I have seen and is easy to fix. If you wash your truck in the winter open up the cover and wipe down the gasket seals with a dry towel or they will freeze down a little. One spray of silicone on there is usually good for the winter.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

that’s great to hear thanks for the write up Pete! Do you have the SE or the HD model?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I happen to have the HD. I’m not sure if I would have spend the extra or not but got lucky and found a used one. I don’t think I’d ever have the balls to drive a wheeler up ramps to the upper level- way to high up there on my one ton! I alreay need a step stool to tie things down up there. But I’ve hauled enough heavy items on there I’m glad it’s over kill. If a person wanted to save a few bucks or bought the SE and wanted to make it more HD I think a guy could bolt/weld/rivet a few pcs of aluminum angle iron on the bottom of the top and stiffen it up real easy. That and more tie downs are the only difference in the models as far as I can tell.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Never heard of these until this post. Crappie you wanna call them up and ask for a referral bonus, cause I just might get one with my next truck (hopefully within a year). I’ve always had a roll-up cover, which I really like, but these look really nice. I’m definitely going to look into these. The only downside that I can think of is that it looks like it may not be possible to haul a snowblower or lawnmower or anything that would stick up above the side in the back?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Never heard of these until this post. Crappie The only downside that I can think of is that it looks like it may not be possible to haul a snowblower or lawnmower or anything that would stick up above the side in the back?

That’s the best part- you just flip the back over on top of the front, or quickly remove a whole panel to haul tall items. The 2 gas shocks disconnect in a second and just flip it over.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Oh wow, thanks for that info

Dennis Myers

Any ideas on Care of the cover? Will Armour all type products work?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Any ideas on Care of the cover? Will Armour all type products work?

It’s painted aluminum, so whatever you use on the rest of your truck will be fine.
    I got mine this spring and am happy with it. The best things about it are that is watertight and lockable, and my tailgate locks electrically to so it’s really secure. Plus if needed you can haul stuff on top of it.
    I had an A.R.E. fiberglass lid on my old truck and more than once in high winds (Texas and Colorado) I had to pull over and run a ratchet strap across the back of it to keep it from popping open. I could see it bouncing in my mirror. The Diamonback latches are much more beefy. I don’t think it will be a problem.

Sylvanboat

Any issues with these tops and 5th wheels? Thx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.