Dh and tuned up vs Thorne bros rods

• 404 ERROR
    MN

All you have to do is ask.

Thanks for responding to my PM. You should offer that as an option on your site, might entice some on-the-fence buyers enough to get their first rod.

onepine
    Elk River

I’ve had DH Custom ALdentes which at the time I purchased them they were one of the only customs available in the price range I could afford. Also still have a DH Custom Perch Pounder which is a nice light action carbon rod. I sold the Aldentes and will probably sell the Perch Pounder. I didn’t like their handles which to me are really small. I like to put rods in a holder when I am not attending them and the DH handles were just to short for that. I stated building my own rods then I can get them to where I like them length, handles, guides, no hook keepers and placement of everything. I have a JT Outdoors pan fish snare which I really like and may keep for a while until I can find a blank with a similar action and then I will build one of those. I like reel seats on my rods and really have gotten to dislike the bands and tape. You have a nice collection for rods from Thorne Brothers and they will be close to all the other Custom rod makers with small differences in action and such. It will come down to customer service and location if you want to touch one before purchasing it.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I have 5 on my 30 in. PN.

Shaun A

I’ve got multiples from all three and I prefer the DH Al Dente, Light Tripwire and Precision. All three different applications but I feel those 3 rods are all I need. The perch sweetheart is a really nice rod, but I like the precision more. Now I just wish TUCR would offer their rods without recoils… whistling

May I ask why you prefer regular guides instead of recoil ones?

Shaun A

Highly unusual my comments here considering my current username, but, when John (owner/partowner?) of TUCR came to my garage to pickup some wood flooring for a project years ago and did the usual BSing us fishing guys do, seemed like a real genuine dude. Wood was for a honey do list project many of us have for the wifey, as I speculate to help gain points for the next fishing trip. Fished the same areas and lakes I’m sure many of you here also fish, co-owned a boat with his dad at the time if I recall correctly, and offered to have our kids meetup some time on a cool bite I didn’t know too much about which I never did call him on. At the time he employed local talent, and had IMO some pretty awesome job perks that were available to all of them to borrow and use.

Seems there is some disdain towards this company for possible instances here that wasnt in John’s control. Hate to see a good local company, and as stated show (that you all love!) sponsor get tarnished.

Haters will always be haters.

From the first time I contacted TUCR I was amazed of the customer service. Top notch to say the least.

I ended up buying 4 rods and when they arrived at my door I was simply amazed. Great rods.

I will be buying more soon and telling all my colleagues about this amazing company that purduces a quality product!

Brett Ford

I’ve had DH Custom ALdentes which at the time I purchased them they were one of the only customs available in the price range I could afford. Also still have a DH Custom Perch Pounder which is a nice light action carbon rod. I sold the Aldentes and will probably sell the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Perch Pounder. I didn’t like their handles which to me are really small. I like to put rods in a holder when I am not attending them and the DH handles were just to short for that. I stated building my own rods then I can get them to where I like them length, handles, guides, no hook keepers and placement of everything. I have a JT Outdoors pan fish snare which I really like and may keep for a while until I can find a blank with a similar action and then I will build one of those. I like reel seats on my rods and really have gotten to dislike the bands and tape. You have a nice collection for rods from Thorne Brothers and they will be close to all the other Custom rod makers with small differences in action and such. It will come down to customer service and location if you want to touch one before purchasing it.

The differences in action and overall fish ability is the reason for this post. I’m not concerned with customer service as I’ve heard nothing but good things about tucr and have had no issues with Dusty at DH or with any of my shopping at Thorne bros including a number of summer and ice rods from them. Lonnie and the guys do a great job, I’m just simply looking for other rods that may fish a little differently than anything in the Thorne bros lineup. Then I can decide wether any of them may or may not fish better for me with certain techniques or in general.

I have multiples of every Thorne, a handful of DH and did have a few TUCR. One outlier you could maybe consider would be the TUCR Quicktip? It has a hyper aggressive taper. Maybe also look at the fusion? I’ve never felt one.

Or, perhaps look at the St. Croix CustomIce (not customize). Those are different than what you have been using too.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Bricker’s custom rods ;)

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have multiples of every Thorne, a handful of DH and did have a few TUCR. One outlier you could maybe consider would be the TUCR Quicktip? It has a hyper aggressive taper. Maybe also look at the fusion? I’ve never felt one.

Or, perhaps look at the St. Croix CustomIce (not customize). Those are different than what you have been using too.

What’s the closest comparable rod in the TB line-up to the TUCR Commander? I’m a huge fan of that rod.

I got my TB Perch Sweetheart and Deadstick yesterday. Initially very happy with them, although I haven’t used them yet. The 36″ Perch Sweetheart has a 7″ Winn Grip and feels very light. The grip is a little thicker the what I’m used to with TUCR because it doesn’t have any taper in the middle. It compares best to a TUCR Precision, but it appears to have a slightly faster action and a little more backbone in the 8″ or so near the handle. The tips feel about the same. What I found interesting is that the “outdoor” Recoil guides on the TB are the same as the TUCR Recoil guides that come on every rod. I was thinking they’d be bigger.

404 ERROR
    MN

May I ask why you prefer regular guides instead of recoil ones?

Because the 650% price increase for guides for marginal weight savings and the ability to flex them isn’t worth it, IMO. I can flick a LW guide and break ice just as easy. If you buy a nice rod, you keep them in a nice case. The nice case keeps the guides from breaking or bending anyways, so why bother spending the money?

If anything, Recoils should be used on open water rods because they can get abused a LOT more. Guess what’s becoming less and less common?…

What’s the closest comparable rod in the TB line-up to the TUCR Commander? I’m a huge fan of that rod.

I’d suspect the commander falls close to the walleye heavy sweetheart, but the commander is maybe a smidge heavier. I’ve not tried a commander. A shorter professional plus graphite might be in the park too.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

I’d suspect the commander falls close to the walleye heavy sweetheart, but the commander is maybe a smidge heavier. I’ve not tried a commander. A shorter professional plus graphite might be in the park too.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I should bring my Commanders down there to compare sometime when they have some of those similar rods made up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The commander is equal to the walleye sweetheart I would say.

Blake Jablonski
    Southern Minnesota

I haven’t used Thorne Bros or DH, but from reading the descriptions on the the Thorne page this is my best estimate.
    Powernoodle ~ Bullwhip
    Quiverstick ~ Fusion
    <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Panfish Sweetheart ~ Quick Tip, though the Quick Tip seems to have a faster tip
    <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Perch Sweetheart ~ Precision
    <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Sweetheart ~ Power Precision
    Walleye Sweetheart Medium-Heavy ~ Commander
    I haven’t gone through the DH site for descriptions. From all I have heard, Thorne makes a great stick. I am a Tuned Up Guy so of course I believe our rods are the best. I would recommend getting your hands on all of the products and see what feels best to you.
    Dan

I own almost all of these. The precision fishes a bit lighter than the perch sweetheart. The walleye Sweetheart Med-Heavy fishes quite a bit heavier than the Commander… much better suited for larger lipless cranks, jiggin raps, and more backbone.

Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>
    I haven’t used Thorne Bros or DH, but from reading the descriptions on the the Thorne page this is my best estimate.
    Powernoodle ~ Bullwhip
    Quiverstick ~ Fusion
    <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Panfish Sweetheart ~ Quick Tip, though the Quick Tip seems to have a faster tip
    <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Sweetheart Medium-Heavy ~ Commander
    I haven’t gone through the DH site for descriptions. From all I have heard, Thorne makes a great stick. I am a Tuned Up Guy so of course I believe our rods are the best. I would recommend getting your hands on all of the products and see what feels best to you.
    Dan

I own almost all of these. The precision fishes a bit lighter than the perch sweetheart. The walleye Sweetheart Med-Heavy fishes quite a bit heavier than the Commander… much better suited for larger lipless cranks, jiggin raps, and more backbone.

Then the Medium Heavy Sweetheart must be like the TUCR Admiral.

Isn’t there a power precision – where does that sit compared to a Sweetheart? Is the commander more moderate of an action?

I’ve only used a precision, precision noodle and quicktip.

Dan Baker

Isn’t there a power precision – where does that sit compared to a Sweetheart? Is the commander more moderate of an action?

I’ve only used a precision, precision noodle and quicktip.

The Power Precision is the same backbone as the Precision but with a stiffer tip. It was deigned to handle rippn’ raps. The Commander is a totally different blank design. It is has a fast tip like the precision, but significantly more backbone. Honestly, I bought the Precision which I love, and the Power Precision which I didn’t really connect with. I sold it and bought the Commander. It is truly exceptional. I usually have a spoon on my Precision and a lip-less crank on my Commander. It’s a perfect pairing.
    Dan

Brett Ford

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>
    Powernoodle ~ Bullwhip
    Quiverstick ~ Fusion
    <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Sweetheart Medium-Heavy ~ Commander
    Dan

What do you think of the quicktip compared to any Thorne bros rods?

Josh Lewis

I do the same, but with a commander and a gold digger. I like the gold digger but love the commander so much that I’ll put the most productive spoon on it if rattle baits aren’t working. I’m thinking about selling the jt to get a precision; I’m getting a little tired of the jt guys bashing anything that isn’t jt

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m getting a little tired of the jt guys bashing anything that isn’t jt

I haven’t seen that here that I recall. Does it happen on other sites? I dont bash on any one. I’m sure tucrs are great. I deal with Thorne bros alot. Buy all my musky stuff there and personally love the ice rods they make. So for me ,I give them my business.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I deal with Thorne bros alot. Buy all my musky stuff there and personally love the ice rods they make. So for me ,I give them my business.

I have built on every one of Thorne Brothers blanks for ice and have 4 open water rods from them. I love their rods! I also have picked up many many musky lures from them. So I understand the loyalty thing.

I have been following this thread closely to see what might work for me. I make my own rods and like how Thorne Brothers sells their blanks. I also have built on many of DH rod blanks. Wish JT and TUCR would sell just their blanks.

Brett Ford

Anyone used the DH gill seeker?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Love my gill seekers! Just got a panfish Sweetheart, seems similar.

Brett Ford

Love my gill seekers! Just got a panfish Sweetheart, seems similar.

Do the blanks for the panfish sweetheart and gill seeker seem to be the same blank thickness and action?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Similar, but that’s just feel, not micrometer.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I only have experience with TB and Tuned up rods. My perch sweethearts are 32″ and shorter where my Tuned up Precision is 36″, so not apples to apples there, but I would say the tip of the precision is a little stiffer, but the overall backbone isn’t as stiff. Some big fish put it to the test with it bending right at the handle. I don’t get that as much with the TB.

As far as the Walleye Sweetheart it is a all around stiffer than the Precision, but no where near the same as the Commander. I use my walleye sweet hard as my deadstick up on Winnipeg and use Commanders to jig. The TB would work, but I prefer the commanders for that. Keep in mind you can get the different builders to adjust the blank for what you prefer. I was going to get a walleye sweetheart with an inch cut off the tip to be stiffer for Winnipeg, but then the Commanders came up and I tried them instead.

My go to rod is always my precision around here for walleyes, just as the feel of the rod is the best of all I’ve used and matches the smaller buckshots and jigs I typically use the best.

404 ERROR
    MN

Yep, great rods. You can get 26″ variant for $50 on Amazon as a baitrunner. Not “custom”, but a very affordable high quality rod.

Brett Ford

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brett Ford wrote:</div>

Yep, great rods. You can get 26″ variant for $50 on Amazon as a baitrunner. Not “custom”, but a very affordable high quality rod.

Can you make any comparisons of the gill seeker to any TB or TUCR rods?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I only have experience with TB and Tuned up rods. My perch sweethearts are 32″ and shorter where my Tuned up Precision is 36″, so not apples to apples there, but I would say the tip of the precision is a little stiffer, but the overall backbone isn’t as stiff. Some big fish put it to the test with it bending right at the handle. I don’t get that as much with the TB.

My go to rod is always my precision around here for walleyes, just as the feel of the rod is the best of all I’ve used and matches the smaller buckshots and jigs I typically use the best.

I tried the Perch Sweetheart yesterday for the first time, and I’d have to agree. The Perch tip was a touch softer. Barely noticeable. I had my Precision along too for a comparison. I could feel the tip bog down a little more with the Perch on #4 Rippin Raps and #5 Jigging Raps. I usually put those on a Commander though. Perch and Precision both feel equally nice with the 1/8oz spoons I was using. The Perch is more of a fast-action rod compared to the mod-fast Precision.

404 ERROR
    MN

Can you make any comparisons of the gill seeker to any TB or TUCR rods?

Soft tip, incredible backbone. The painted tip of the DH is really nice. To be completely honest with you, I have a 26″ Thorne rod that I THINK is a Quiverstick, but I’m not sure. I bought the rod so long ago that I forgot what it is and they don’t label them…It’s pretty comparable with just a touch more back to it.

I do not own any panfish TUCR rods, can’t compare.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.