Devils Lake North Dakota

• tomhubby12

Targeting walleye in the morning and late afternoon by using either a clam rattle spoon or buckshot flutter spoon (both 1/16 oz) and tipping it with a minnow head. They don’t seem to be attacking it though does anyone have any tips? Also, for targeting jumbo perch during day, which works better tipping with a minnow head or tipping with a few wax worms? Was fishing in East Bay saw a lot of fish on flasher, but couldn’t get them to take my bait. Any feedback is great.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

You would be surprised how many walleye you will catch if you downsize to a tungsten with wax worms. We’ve had days out there that all they would hit is a small jig and waxies. As for perch it’s the same thing if they’re aggressive they will take the spoons if they are negative then downsize.

deftones311
    Southern MN

Perch Eyes and gold kastmaster rattle for perch worked last week walleyes nothing better than a jiggin rap perch or blue silver bottom color or that yellow white ghost color all three worked great walleyes cant resist

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve always had better luck tipping with wax worms out there, specially in a negative bite. Even walleyes on Devils will crush a small spoon with a glob of waxies on it.

If you are targeting negative perch during the day, make sure you’re using a rod with a VERY light tip or a spring bobber. Negative perch are notoriously light biters, you could be getting bit without even knowing it.

DRH1175

How deep you fishing. Walleyes have been hitting well later in the day in shallow. Like 11 fow. Good luck

Hoyt4
    NULL

Jigging rap for perch and eyes with minnow head. If they are not aggresive small jig with wax has worked great.

tomhubby12

jigging rap tipped with a minnow head for aggressive walleye?

tomhubby12

Perch Eyes and gold kastmaster rattle for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch worked last week walleyes nothing better than a jiggin rap perch or blue silver bottom color or that yellow white ghost color all three worked great <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes cant resist

Are you tipping the jigging rap with a minnow head I would assume?

Phil Pickering
    Janesville, WI

In my experience, I find heavier baits do well with the walleyes in devils. Buckshot spoons and jigging raps tipped with minnow heads (preferably) or waxies seem to always produce. I have been using jigging raps a ton lately and once you learn how to jig them well, you should get bit by close to 75% of fish that come in to look. Hallie’s have worked well on perch and walleye when you need to downsize do to inactive fish. As a last resort, I’ll go to my biggest gold tungsten but that’s quite rare.

Phil Pickering
    Janesville, WI

And when I say heavy, I mean it. 90% of the time I use #7 (5/8oz) jigging raps and 3/8 to 1/2oz buckshots when targeting walleye. I use #5 if perch are mixed in but if they are aggressive, even perch and small eyes will hit a #7.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

All good info for when I’m out there in a month. I was planning on taking 3 rods, 1 rigged with a buckshot, 1 with a slender spoon and a panfish rod rigged with a tungsten/plastic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.